Autumn/winter allergy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering from some kind of allergy now for 13 years, it starts around September and lasts until around March time, it drives me crazy with itching. I am under the dermatologist, he thought it may be polymorphic light eruption, but is now ruling that out I think. I have been prescribed various creams and ointments, they heal the sores from scratching but doesn't help stop the itching. Antihistimines help, but they don't stop the allergy.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue, I'm sorry you are suffering so much.  It sounds very familiar.  I started with itching.  I initially thought it was seasonal but ultimately, it turned out that I was allergic to formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasers.  

I wrote to every company under the sun to ask whether they had changed their ingredients in their products.  One of them sent me to a Dermatologist, who did patch testing.

Some years further on,  I again developed unbearable itching, my GPs wouldn't refer me to a Dermatologist until I developed huge blisters on my feet.  A Pharmacist recognised these as Bullous Pemphigoid and I was finally referred again.  My current Consultant told me that in fact,  I had Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid/Cicatricial Pemphigoid and he is treating it.

Things improved tremendously, as soon as I was put on oral steroids.  The itching finally went and I now seldom itch.  [I still have the Pemphigoid but that's another story!]

What country are you in?

• Posted

Thanks for replying I'm in Grimsby in England , 
    • Posted

I'm in South Wales - I understand about the NHS but quite often people who reply, are in the US, [and elsewhere in the world] where the system/s are different.

Do you have any autoimmune diseases?  I wonder whether your Dermatologist ought to be looking down a different track.  Has s/he done comprehensive blood tests?  

• Posted

Thanks, yes they have done blood tests, and biopsis, waiting for light treatment at minute, but no nearer knowing what causing it, this rash is just on my arms, neck, and chest, this is why they thought it was the sun, but they can not understand why it flares up in autumn time and winter.
    • Posted

Try looking at Dermnet NZ, it has a wealth of info on all things 'skin'.  All the doctors and Dermatologists use it.  There are a lot of pictures too

My formaldehyde allergy manifested itself on my arms and legs and rarely anywhere else.  Have they done any patch testing?

• Posted

I had allergy/sinus issues all my life before 1995 when I found Pycnogenol and this antioxidant let me throw away all allergy drugs and NEVER see an allergist again....that was 19 yrs ago.

I since found Grape Seed Extract and take it daily and often times still take Pycnogenol....these antioxidants are from France originally and Pycnogenol hit the U.S. in 1994.....it found me in 1995.

I never had the itching issue, but you might want to check these out as what is going on in the inside. affects the outside....

These reduce histimines greatly and address so much in the body.

I have a separate post here on these antioxidants. j

• Posted

Thanks Joy, i have ordered these products, Il try anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.