average age when first diagnosed?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I realize that asking for age is a usual no-no, but we are all here because share the same disease. I was diagnosed with Lichen planus 2 years ago at age 58. It was a mild case mostly contained to my limbs. Without any specific treatment, it mostly resolved (with the exception of ugly brown skin staining) in about a year. Almost exactly 1 year to the day, it came back... with a vengeance. From the neck down, I am covered. My mouth is full of painful lesions. Finally was able to see a dermatologist and have been treated with clobetasol and now Tacrolimus w/o much improvement. Moving onto trying UV light therapy. Please share your history and would love to hear positive stories of clearing! Thank you, Terri

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I thought I would send you the link as it made me aware of the omeprazole and I am so glad that you are trialling stopping it, like you I was aware that the LP calmed right down after stopping, the first thing I noticed was that I didn’t itch so much and at this present time I am just about clear of all spots just need to get rid of the purple marks on my legs.

Good Luck Stellarose, will look forward to reading more on your progression

• Posted

I was diagnosed with OLP about 18 months ago by a lip biopsy.   I had already been seen by a dentist, ENT and primary care doc before I finally figured out I needed to see a dermatologist. He is the one who finally diagnosed me. Originally I used Betamethasone Dipropionate, then Tacrolimus Ointment. Neither of those did anything to resolve the lesions in my mouth. The dentist thought I had a yeast infection so he prescribed Fluconazole and Nystatin. Needless to say it was not a yeast infection. The dermatologist tried me on prednisolone (swish & swallow) it did nothing. He then prescribed Methotrexate (which had terrible side effects - hair loss and weight gain), then he prescribed Mycophenolate which also had terrible side effects - finally he prescribed Plaquenil and it worked great, but again terrible side effects. Can cause macular degeneration. At this point I had tried everything so I decided to quit all drugs and just see what happens. Well, its been about 2 months and my mouth lesions are slowly going away. I still cannot eat spicy food or acidic food or red wine, but I get by. I'm just hoping I don't have another flair up like I had a year ago when I couldn't eat anything. I'm not convinced that OLP is caused by stress as I was under absolutely no stress when this started. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.