average BP 135/85, sometimes 146/89, 137/94. Doc want to prescribe me meds.

Posted , 4 users are following.

As per title, my average BP is actually pre-hypertension. But sometimes it did spike around 145/95. Never reach 150/100.

But I do feel like uneasy in my head (like tightness/lightheaded...i dont know which one). Sometimes I feel pain on the sides and at the back of head. Especially when I coughing. When I`m in crowded places, I feel like fainting or lightheaded.

Went to see a doctor, he want to give me meds due to the high BP and the symptom. But I decline as I want to try to drop the BP by diet and exercise.

I`m 30 years old. My weight is 81kg, 167cm. Not active at all. After seeing the BP, I started to exercise once or twice a week.

Please share you thoughts and advice. I really don`t want to take meds.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

To rule out some heart issues, I would see another doc. Maybe a referral to a cardiologist for a echo. That will show heart functions, valves, blood flow, etc. It's a simple test. No pain or anything. Like a baby ultrasound but for your heart. Then maybe a stress test. Can't be to careful when it comes to heart issues. Even at a young age may have a problem you don't know about.

• Posted

I`ve taken ECG to check my heart last year, everything is fine.

Should I take the other test or re-take the ECG test again?

• Posted

The cardiologist told me the echo tells him alot of info. More than stress test. To me I seemed sceptical. I think the stress test could show things may not show under non stress situations.
  • Posted

Hi Razz,

I just worked out your BMI from the info you gave. That comes to 29.0 - way up at the top of the overweight range. Clinical obesity starts at 30. That's unless you're very muscular of course (muscle weighs more than fat) but that sounds unlikely if, as you say, you're not active at all. I'm afraid the bottom line is you really need to lose weight. A lot of weight - at least 12kg.

That's not going to happen overnight, of course. It will take a long time, but slow weight loss is healthier and more sustainable than the rapid loss advocated by various faddy systems that insist on an initial "burn".

Congratulations on starting to exercise regularly. However, once or twice a week isn't enough. Also, I hope this exercise isn't a vigorous work-out in the gym or similar. Someone of your weight, with no history of exercise, needs to start slowly. A brisk, 20-minute walk or a cycle ride on 5 or 6 days a week would be a good place to start. You can work up slowly from there. Once you've been doing that for a few months you'll be fit enough to join a gym, if that's what you want. But it's not necessary - exercise you can incorporate into your daily life is just as good. That means brisk walking, walking up the stairs, gardening, energetic housework or DIY etc.

You need to work on your diet too - cutting salt and sugar to the minimum, not too many carbs, all of which means keeping junk food and takeaways as occasional treats of course.

At 30 you're still young enough to turn your health around and avoid taking BP meds, but don't leave it too long before you start!

• Posted

Actually my actual weight was 85kg, but after I control my diet and a minor exercise, it dropped to 81kg. And quite recently, I increase my exercise schedule. Started jogging for 2km every week, once or twice. Went to gym but only using treadmill.

Diet wise, i`ve taken less salt and less carbo, especially at night. No more sugary drinks. Only on special occassion but low intake. Only take plain water everyday. Drink minimum 3 liter of plain water everyday.

Currently my target is to exercise everyday (jogging/treadmill) minimum 30 mins, eat healthy and more fruits for a month. Moreover, Ramadhan month is coming. As a muslim, this is the best month for me to improve my health due to fasting (30 days of fasting).

My target is to achieve minimum 75kg or 70kg if possible at the end of Ramadhan month.

I appreciate if anybody can advice me what kind of diet should I eat to reduce blood pressure, especially during fasting month.

• Posted

Hi Razz,

Congratulations on the weight loss and improved lifestyle! That's the way to go.

Can't give much advice on Ramadan eating patterns, except many of my Muslim friends say they put on weight in the immediate aftermath, once they start eating normally again. The partial fast acts as a kind of "burn". However, they tell me that just being a bit careful in the weeks after Ramadan (except on Eid of course!) is enough to get the extra weight off.

I'd say just be kind to yourself during the fasting month. Be as sensible as possible but don't set yourself any specific targets, you're already doing fine. Just pick up from where you left off once it's over.

• Posted

Looks like you suffer from panic attacks. I don't thing what you describe has strictly  to do  with essential high blood pressure. Too much stress and anxiety may contribute to this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.