Avoid nicotine detection for blood test?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sex:Male

Height: 1.79m

Weight: 80kg

I read that it takes 10 days for nicotine to be undetectable. Fist of, how true is that? And could I do anything to prevent detection now (I'm 5 days off)? I'm in a hurry so please give me a reply first before asking why.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi... in a blood test, it takes about a week, up to 10 days for nicotine to be undetectable in blood. The range depends on how much nicotine was in your system to begin with, and your genetics, which affects the rate at which you metabolize (break down) nicotine. Neither of these things are ones which you can change now. The blood tests looks not only for nicotine but for its breakdown product, hence the long time it takes to clear.

What you can do now? Just the sensible things - DON'T add any more nicotine to your system, obviously! Don't smoke, don't hang out in smoky bars or with people who are smoking or vaping (the blood test is sensitive enough to pick up just what nicotine you get from inhaling secondhand smoke or vapor). Don't use nicotine gum or patches, of course. I'm assuming here that you're not a heavy smoker in the midst of quitting, in which case your chances of quitting "cold turkey" and "passing" this test are pretty much zero.

Foods in the same family as tobacco have trace amounts of nicotine, like tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, so it might be wise to avoid large amounts of these.

Lastly, nicotine is broken down in the liver, so be kind to your liver so that it can do a better job. This means go easy on alcohol or any other poisons that your liver has to process, excepting any prescription meds that you may be on for good reason.

At any rate, in the US these tests are used most often to determine if you are a smoker or not for health insurance reasons (you're at higher risk of all kinds of health problems, obviously, if a smoker) and you'd be charged a higher premium. In the UK, I don't know what exactly the usage is, but probably similar.

At any rate, if you're a smoker, please consider quitting, if not now for the sake of the test, then soon, for your own sake! The longer you wait, the harder it gets.

And I have enough job security in my work as a cancer researcher, thank you, I don't need to add a strong young man to my list of potential clients rolleyes

Be well!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your answer! I have one more question though: could the levels of nicotine in my blood after 5 days without a smoke be identified as passive smoking?
    • Posted

Hm. Good question and not really one that I can answer for sure. If you had just one smoke 5 days ago and no exposure since then, it might be down to levels approaching that of heavy passive smoking, i.e. if you live with a smoker. If you've been a steady smoker and just had last one 5 days ago, i doubt it.

Long and short of it is, you've made the choices you've made regarding smokes, and are now facing the consequences. I'm not going to ask why, but likely it's something that's important to you now, tho in retrospect, ten years from now, maybe not. Man up and just deal with it smile life will go on.

best of luck.

• Posted

Ok, I guess you are right. Thank you so much again. TC!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.