avoidant personality disorder?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello not sure if im in the right forum but here goes. I was scanning the net and came across an article on avoidant personality disorder. It was like i was reading something that had been based on me. I was just wondering if anyone out there has had treatment for this and just bit of advice on how one can get help for this would be very helpful to me thanks. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

what are your symptoms and behaviors from this? Do you think its possible it could be social anxiety instead?
    • Posted

The person avoids occupational activities that require significant interpersonal contact. Job interviews or promotions may be turned down because the person's own perceptions of his or her abilities do not match the job description.

The person is reluctant to participate in social involvement without clear assurance that they will be accepted. People with this disorder assume other people are not safe to trust until proven otherwise. Others must offer repeated support and encouragement in order to persuade them to participate in a social event.

The person fears being shamed or ridiculed in close relationships. As a result, people with this disorder become overly alert to behavioral cues that may indicate disapproval or rejection. They will flee a situation in which they believe that others might turn against them.

The person is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected. Much mental and physical energy is spent brooding about and avoiding situations perceived as "dangerous."

The person is inhibited in unfamiliar social situations due to feelings of inadequacy. Low self-esteem undermines their confidence in meeting and conversing with new acquaintances.

The person regards him or herself as socially inept. This self-disparagement is especially apparent when the person must make social contacts with strangers. People with Avoidant Personality Disorder perceive themselves as unappealing or inferior to others.

The person is reluctant to take social risks, in order to avoid possible humiliation. S/he seeks interactions that promise the greatest amount of acceptance while minimizing the likelihood of embarrassment or rejection. I READ THIS AND IT DESCRIBES EXACTLY HOW I FEEL

• Posted

im sorry if this is inpersonal but i really struggle to explain how i feel
    • Posted

ok well this sounds all behavioral. many people become apprehensive or extremely nervous in social situations and I would assume it leads to different avoidances. Im not a therapist but its prob best to talk this out with a therapist who helps you with why you feel this way. I think it can be multiple reasons to why you feel this way...bad social experience, past trauma, overly stressed, fear of rejection, etc. I think a good therapist can help challenge your fear and expose you to what your avoiding.
  • Posted

If this describes you then yes it is likely part of your personality. What's your age. Have you been living successfully with it so far? Remember most of us have some sort of issue. We all need to learn the best strategies for coping with our unique personalities. You are on the right track. You have found the issue. That's a good thing, not a abad thing. Now you can learn how to better live ! You are in the right place, Welcome!
    • Posted

im 26 and i havent been living successful with it.Imhe biggest loser i know i havent had a job or relationship for 10 years and now ive locked myself away and my problems have stacked up on me i dont even know where to start to help myself
    • Posted

This is a bad case. That being said, there is hope. I am going to shortly describe my experience, perhaps it can point you in the right direction. Around the age of 25 my mental issues peaked. (OCD, Agoraphobia ( social anxiety triggered it) & depersonalization) I also had chronic fatigue syndrome. They were so bad I had to do something so I turned to a therapist who prescribed me medicine. ( which I hate) Prozac. I could not tolerate it. It gave me hallucinations, suicidal thoughts and fear of everyday objects like lamps and clothes. I then tried Lexapro( ecitrolapram). It worked great for me. Just 10mg was enough for me to get up and get my life together. It takes awhile to work, for me 6 weeks. I had to wean on it slowly. The doctor said it was fine to start with the 10 mg, but i had to many side effects so I did a quarter pill, then 2 weeks later  a half. I stayed on half for awhile because it was helping and I knew I would need to increase the dose eventually. There are other medicines out there but I got lucky only haveing to try 2. You can not stay on the medicine permenatly, you must take breaks. Each break I took I got better at controlling my issues. I am now 36 and no longer on the medicine as of 1.5 years. I am doing well except  frequent flare ups of social anxiety. I think social anxiety is different from the Avoidant personality disorder. Social anxiety is a symptom of Avoidant personality disorder, but Avoidant personality disorder has more symptoms. My ordeal has prompted me to study psychology, to help myself and others in my family with mental disorders. I'm six years in. I have 4 children and am a stay at home mom currently. I did successfully run a business for 8 yrs, but had a physical injury that ended that. I have lots of plans. I have talked to others and mental health issues get really bad in the 20's. Please seek treatment and take one step at a time. I look forward to hearing back from you.
  • Posted

hello everyone i really apreciate everyones concern and advice its comforting to hear im not alone so big thankyou to you all for the replies. I think im going to get a appointment with my gp and see what he says. I had my first ever panic attack last night that was a big indicator to me i need help hence the late reply. Do you think im best of printing off the symptons which i copy and pasted below? just i really struggle with opening up to anyone face to face and with being a male it feels like im weak and not a man. One last thing eliazabeth if you could send me some contact details for doctor richard who you mentioned that would be great thanks agin to all of you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.