Avoiding Smear Test

Posted , 23 users are following.

I am currently dodging my Doctors about my Smear Test- saying I keep forgetting or I will try to book one etc. At the end of every appointment I get the speech on Smear Tests - even having one doctor talk over me saying I didn't want one. 

I have had previous examinations due to problems with bleeding and periods but they were uncomfortable, painful and traumatic bringing up a lot of horrible memories and feelings. I almost passed out after the last examination. 

I'm not having any abnormal symptoms and am not sexually active for many of the same reasons. 

I wish the Doctors would stop harrassing and try to empathise a bit more with their patients. 

I didn't think I needed to have one if I'm not 'active' but again not something that I want to go over with my militant doctors! Just leave me alone please! 

5 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

So glad to have found this forum!  Just wanted to check I have understood all the info correctly if that's OK.  If a person is HPV negative does that mean there is no risk for cervical cancer?  I'm 41, been with my husband for nearly 20 years but had other partners before him.  Never had an abnormal result from a Pap smear.  I am interested in doing the home HPV test but not sure who are reputable companies - I live in Canada.  Thanks in advance 😊.

• Posted

Hi

I found this an interesting forum to follow.  Once in my 50's smear tests became increasingly painful and finally impossible at my GP surgery.  I strongly considered saying "no more" but was persuaded to attend the Centre for Women's Health at my local hospital.  This was 9 years ago. 

The Consultant diagnosed an atrophied vagina, which together with a tilted twisted pelvis made the test impossible whilst I was conscious.  I understand that the atrophy is one of the reasons why older women find the procedure so uncomfortable.  The test was carried out under a general anaesthetic and I was so glad I had it done.  The result came back with pre cancerous cells and HPV positive, even though I had not been sexually active for over 30 years. 

I was successfully treated and it was explained to me that as I was HPV positive, I had a 1 in 6 chance of a recurrence.  I had to have an annual test under a GA each year, with, I was told, increasing difficulty for the surgeon.  Last year I was told I was finally HPV negative which meant that the chance of recurrence was now less that 1%.  So I have had my last ever smear test!

So Alex I hope that answers your question about HPV.  A smear test is a choice, but had I not chosen to keep trying, I might not have been here to post on this Forum. 

• Posted

Hi Alex

That's right, HPV- women are not even offered smear tests under an evidence based program, the Dutch only offer a 5 yearly pap test/smear test to the roughly 5% of women aged 30 to 60 who test HPV+

Australia will move to HPV primary screening this year and we'll also focus on HPV+ women. (unfortunately, we'll block HPV self testing for 6 years trying to force women into the invasive HPV test, which is like the smear test AND we'll start HPV testing from age 25, the evidence says not before 30, lots of young women, about 40%, will test HPV+, these are transient and harmless infections that would clear naturally, so we'll continue to worry and harm our young women under the new program)

HPV testing should not start before age 30 and then 5 tests in total is enough, some women might choose to have just one.

Here in Australia our new program will again be excessive, 10 HPV tests when 5 would do...

You can easily and reliably test yourself for HPV, no need for a painful/uncomfortable speculum exam.

HPV- women who are no longer sexually active or who are confidently monogamous might then choose to withdraw from HPV testing altogether (unless their risk profile changes like taking a new sexual partner)

Women will rarely be given the choice though, the medical profession think it's safer to continue testing just in case a man in unfaithful - I think that's our call.

I'll send you a link by PM to a forum, there are Canadian women on that forum and they can give you the names of HPV self-tests available in your country,

The Dutch self-screener is very reliable and now available in many countries, that would be the best option if you can get your hands on it.

• Posted

Felinia

You didn't need a GA at that stage, you should have been offered HPV self-testing, then with the HPV+ result you could make an informed decision and might choose to have the smear/pap test at that stage. MOST women are HPV- (about 95% of women aged 30 to 60) so the HPV self-test would confirm that fact avoiding the need for anything else.

If you'd come back HPV- you would have had an unnecessary GA, you could have obtained your HPV status using a HPV self test.

Older women often find the speculum exam incredibly painful, if they want to test they should be offered HPV self testing, it's reliable and most tests are easy to use. Many older women stop testing because they can't tolerate the speculum exam. it's disgraceful that HPV self-testing is not offered as an alternative. I'm sure this is because they know most women would prefer that option and they'd rather push women into the program.

The speculum exam can leave older women bleeding, sore for days and even cause damage - also, UTI's.

About 95% of women aged 30 to 60 ARE HPV- so a simple self-test gives you very important information - HPV+ and you have a small risk of cc and have a small chance of benefiting from a 5 yearly pap/smear test, (until you clear the virus)

HPV- (like MOST women) and you're not at risk and cannot benefit from smear/pap tests.

It's a disgrace that this option is not given to most women.

Also, almost all "pre-cancerous" cells do not progress to cervical cancer but a HPV+ women (aged 30 to 60) with a smear test/pap test that's CIN 3 (and sometimes CIN 2) is usually treated.

All the best...

• Posted

I'm in the UK where all women over a certain age are routinely offered a smear test every 3 years.  This is the standard protocol and they can choose not to accept.  I don't know if HPV self testing was available in the UK in 2008 when everybody had failed to do a standard smear test on me whilst conscious.  The earliest date I have heard of self testing being available in the UK was 2014. 

I had certainly never heard of HPV until 2013 when after 5 years of clear smears following 2 LLEDZ (?) treatments, the hospital wanted to sign me off.  (I didn't make that clear in my original post when I re-read it). They only did the first HPV test as an afterthought during the 2013 smear, which is when I got the positive reading.  I got called back by the senior Oncologist with no explanation given.  Needless to say this scared me silly, but he only wanted to explain why he would not sign me off.  This was then repeated annually with the smear test until the clear result in 2016.  My Consultant told me in over 30 years he could count on one hand the number of women where smear testing was only possible under a GA and I was one of just two on his current list. 

Had I had the HPV test and a positive result in 2008, as I understand you, the pre cancerous cells would never have been looked for, let alone found?  There is a family history of cancer - my mother and brother both died from it - so that is one ticking time bomb I am glad was found and dealt with. 

I do agree with you though that information about HPV self testing should be much more widely publicised and the option made available to women.  It certainly isn't here in the UK - none of my friends in the 65+ age group had heard of it.  Whether I could have self tested I don't know, I can't even insert pessaries or applicators with vaginal cream any more, such is the atrophy and twisting.  But I am the anomoly, not the norm.

It's water under the bridge for me now though.  Best wishes

• Edited

Lauren

Thank you for your post. It is alright for Doctors to remind us about this important test but not to nag us. I don't know how the how the UK system works but in Australia we have a National Pap Smear Register which reminds you when you are over or due for Pap Smear. Just one letter is ok. The test itself is important as long as you have been sexually active at some point. I have been having these tests since 2005 though l last had sexual contact about 2 years ago. My results have always been negative until two weeks ago l was called by the GP after my results indicated some cell changes. Luck enough it's minor/ moderate and l have decided to have a total abdominal hysterectomy before they become active cancer cells. Aren't l lucky?

As for the nagging GPs, l would either switch over to another one or report them the their Proffessions council.

• Edited

Hi Revesay

I'm in Australia and I'd be appalled if a medical professional would agree to do a full. hysterectomy for "abnormal" cells. If that was carried out for every woman who had "abnormal" cells, most women here would be wothout their uterus!

The lifetime risk of a colposcopy and biopsy here is a huge 77%, the cancer has a lifetime risk of 0.65%...our over-screening program, which starts far too early and tests too often and for too long provides no additional benefit to women, but produces lots of false positive pap tests and very high over-treatment rates.

Our new program will be better, but still side with excess, our young women will continue to suffer under the new program, long-standing evidence says HPV testing should never start before 30, we'll start at 25, that means about 40% of young women will produce a HPV+ result and probably be referred for colposcopy/biopsy. We know these early HPV infections clear within a year or two, by age 30 the 40% who test HPV+ is down to about 5%

For a start, are you even HPV+?

If not, you're wasting your time with pap testing, biopsies etc.

ONLY HPV+ women aged 30 to 60 have a small chance of benefiting from a 5 yearly pap test (until they test HPV-)

If you're HPV+ and aged 30 to 60, it will depend on your CIN rating, even CIN 3 is usually treated by cone biopsy not hysterectomy, most CIN 3 does not progress to cc, but everyone is treated. 

CIN 2 is often treated too, CIN 1 should not be treated, women usually re-test in 12 months time.

Lots of things can produce and "abnormal" pap test - infections, inflammation (from condoms or tampons) hormonal changes during menopause or pregnancy, trauma (childbirth, rough sex/toys etc)

and even perfectly normal changes in the young and maturing cervix are often picked up as "abnormal" changes.

So I'd urge you to get a second opinion before you agree to a hysterectomy.

I don't consider the test important at all (for me) but I can understand why HPV+ women aged 30 to 60 might decide to test, they at least have a small chance of benefiting.

It doesn't matter whether you've been sexually active or not, the testing should focus on those women who test HPV+ and are aged 30 to 60. You can be very sexually active, but if the woman is HPV-...then she's not at risk of cervical cancer.

So it's only about 5% of sexually active women aged 30 to 60 with a small chance of benefiting from pap testing.

Also, you can check your own HPV status, there are HPV self testing kits available online. HPV- and you're fine, HPV+ and aged 30 to 60, there's a small chance you might benefit from a pap test.

Note: MOST abnormal cells do NOT progress to cervical cancer

• Posted

Hi Eliz

Thank you for your communication. I am post 5 years menopausal, last sexual activity 2 years ago. After the results got Clindamycin treatment ( vaginal) for 7 days. Still the lesion did not disappear which means it's not infection. I don't want a biopsy because l don't need the uterus anymore and l don't want to take chances of that small " might progress to cancer".

• Posted

I'd be asking about your HPV status, most women our age are HPV-

If you're HPV- there's no risk it will progress to cervical cancer

So I'd urge you to at least check your HPV status

I couldn't disagree more with the idea we don't need our uterus after menopause, I value and respect every part of my body and will protect it from unnecessary tests, procedures and surgeries.

You might want to do some research, you might be surprised to find our ovaries and uterus have a role to play right through life.

Not sure I can add links here, but if you google the subject you should find something on the subject.

"The pelvic floor should be considered in surgical decision-making are: pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinence, bowel dysfunction, sexual function and pelvic organ fistula formation. These outcomes are particularly relevant as life expectancy has increased and sequela may occur a long time after the surgical procedure and severely impair quality of life"

Taken from "Long Term Effects of Hysterectomy" by C. Forsgren and D. Altman, Aging Health, 2013

All the best, please take your time with this important decision.

Note: most post-menopausal women are HPV- which means not at risk of cc, about 95% of us.

• Posted

Why want one if you don't want to go for it, my sister is at all the time asking me to go for it, I keep saying no. I'm not with any guy for 3 years and I'm not willing to go to get a smear test ever. I'm 33, light smoker but it won't change my mind.

• Edited

I've given up on accessing healthcare until I age out of the cervical screening program at 70. I've had diarrhoea since childhood but none of the GPs in my practice as willing to engage with me on that issue. Instead, every appointment turns into a hard sell for cervical screening. I've opted out by letter, which has stopped invitation letters from being sent to my home, but no matter how many times I write or tell the GPs that I will never submit to screening, it is still brought up in every appointment and takes up the majority of the time available.

I have been privately vaccinated against HPV via Lloyds pharmacy (although my GPs seem reluctant to believe me about this - every time I tell them, they ask questions about the number and spacing of injections and seem to be hoping to catch me out in a lie). There seems to be nothing I can say that can persuade them to make a note on my file that I've already discussed my reasons.

As a result I've stopped going to GP for pill (I'm not sexually active but need it to control periods) and am now buying it online instead.

• Posted

i used to get asked constantly if they could schedule me for my female wellness exams. i told the doctor that i do not do pelvic/pap, colonoscopy or mammograms and she has not asked me again. try being firm and instead of saying you'll schedule one, tell them in no uncertain terms that you do NOT and will not do it

• Posted

Hi Lauren ,you can opt out of screening you can be taken off their list and sign a disclaimer it is up to you to decide and the surgery also gets paid for every test done.It is not supposed to be like a summons.I told my surgery if they ever mention it again I would make a complaint to the general medical council,they leave me alone now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.