Avoiding surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,I'm a 26yr old female and I was just diagnosed with hip dysplasia in my right hip.My surgeon has reccomended 1 year of physical therapy, some bracing, a little bit of weight loss (i'm a 'healthy' BMI, but he said 3-5kg may help) and low impact exercise (swimming).He said that if repeat imaging is still concerning, i'll need PAO surgery to prevent arthritis etc..The thing is:1: Is it even possible to fix hip dysplasia without surgery? 2. My hip only really hurts during flairs... like.. not a lot. Is it worth fixing?Thanks so much!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

YES! It's totally worth fixing. Hip dysplasia can sometimes be managed on its own with some therapy, but arthritis is a future guarantee without addressing it now. Putting it off could lead to greater problems. I tried to delay a surgery and ended up with bone grinding on bone because I thought I could manage it. You don't want that to happen for sure! You're young and will bounce back from a PAO quickly. I think you'd see your quality of life improve too! I've had multiple hip surgeries including a PAO and total replacement to address my congenital hip dysplasia. I would suggest looking into it. You're too young to be in that much pain! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.