Awaiting botox treatment....

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello i'm a 47 year old lady who's finally been officiàlly diagnosed with an over active bladder in Feb this year.

I always needed to go to the toilet a lot and joked i had the bladder the size of a peanut!! I eventually plucked up the courage to go to the doctor 2/3 years ago. Since then i've tried various tablets but all they seemed to do was give me a dry mouth!! In Feb i was sent to the hospital where i underwent all the usual flow tests. Kidney n bladder scans etc. I was then told that not only is my bladder over active but it's unusually small as well (see i said it was the suze of a peanut!!)....oh joy!! I can only hold roughly a shot glass of liquid before i spasm and leak. I am consequently padded up 24/7. I also need to get up at least 4 times during the night. All in all things are really getting me down now. I'm tired n irritable through lack of sleep. It has such an impact on everything i do. Work...home everything...

I have had my catheter training and am due to have botox in 3 weeks time. I have been told the chances of it working are quite low due to my small bladder and that i might have to go down the bladder enlargement route.

Has anyone else had the treatment?

What's it like post treatment?

I have know one to ask. Although i'm dreading it i know i can't go on much longer like this. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am on my last tablet which has caused havock got a catheter full time now and now waiting Botox. I have a TVT sling which is cutting threw my sacriotic joint nerve in my hip which means a lot of 999 calls hope you get sorted soon xx 
    • Posted

Oh Claire that sounds awful. I thought i had it rough!

I haven't had tablets for months now as i found they were a waste of time for me. I'm sorry but i don't know what a tvt sling is. It must be horrible for you having to dial 999 all the time. 

I can't wait to get the botox...3 weeks and counting. Fingers crossed it works. The thought of having to catheterise myself just doesn't bear thinking about. I don't know how you manage.

Having to live with such a taboo debilitating downright annoying problem is horrible.

Good luck to you x

• Posted

I had it fitted yesterday after ringing doc out on Friday and left so called 999 and they fitted it.  I don't know how long for as I usually self catherterise, but doc in a&e wants to take pressure of the TVT mesh sling.  I suffered with mixed inconinence for bout 12 years and no pain until I trusted a surgeon wish I didn't to be honest with ya. But I feel no1 believes women fully with bladder problems. Do you have to keep getting Botox every few month or so?  
  • Posted

I really don't know Claire. I was told it could last from a few weeks to a couple of years. Thankfully i'm new to all of this. 

All i do no is that they've said that the botox probably won't work due to my unusually small bladder. If it doesn't work they said they'll probably try again n if that fails i'll have the bladder enlarging op using some of my bowel. As long as it stops all of this i don't really care what they do. I've gone past the being embarrassed with all the tests bit. I just want it sorted. The thought of having to be padded up for years to come and the leakages is horrible.

How do you manage your self catheterisation? Do you work n if so how do you manage it there? Thats the bit i'm really uncomfortable about.

• Posted

I am self employed and work from home which is quite hard as I run a stud yard with 22 horses including foals and youngstock but soon get in routine if saying coffee time and go to the bathroom I don't go out other than the farm but I tell all my staff and liveries the truth about my health which helps with embarrassment.  I never hurd about bladder enlargement I hope it goes well for you. I have now came to the decision that patch and Botox is out the ? Just put a bag on me for life and take this sling out of me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.