Awaiting Cervical rib removal , petrified is it worth it?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Would love to hear from anybody who has had surgery and has found it a success. I'm due to have my cervical rib removed (right side) and part of the rib underneath too. I am so frightened but fed up of the constant pain.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had the Op on my left side in July. Had been progressively getting worse for 3 years and after the op instant relief and no return of symptoms. Haven't taken anything stronger than a paracetamol since leaving hospital and am fully back to all sport and work.

Good luck hope it goes well!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, It's nice  to hear that your surgery was successful, I'm  hoping il get instant relief too, fed up of moaning about the pain! How many weeks did you have to take off work as this is worrying me as I'm self employed, many thanks.
    • Posted

I was lucky being in the military that I was given a fair amount of time off but depending on your job I would say I would have been ready after about a week-2 weeks. The first weekend after my op I was up and about for full days. I wouldn't have been ready to lift etc but light duties were fine.
    • Posted

6 weeks with the first and 7 weeks with the second. I also had alot of nerve damage he repaired. it also depends on what job you do.
    • Posted

Thank you, your reply makes me feel a lot more happier,( I'm a haidresser)x
    • Posted

I would of throught you will be like me 6 to 7 weeks ? plus make sure you keep scar covered up ! last this you will need is peoples hair when cutting it getting near scar. I have had my hair cut twice since and always put patch over scar to be safe. may I ask if your consultant in a vascular surgeon.
    • Posted

Great, it took me two years to find one. so you are in safe hands. I was sent to bone surgeon first and he was a waste of time.
    • Posted

Hi, it's taken me nearly two years too, my doctor told me first of all I had Labyrinths (ear problems) for months, kept telling me to take betahystamin even tho she new I had an extra rib, made to feel like a hyperchondriac, luckily a locam doctor took some notice and referred me to muscular scelator who sent me for a MRA  then referred me to a vascular surgeon, feels like it's taking forever. 
    • Posted

yes does make you feel like you are going mad. been in and out of hospital. for over two years. at last I am over the worse now and on the way to a normal life. biggrinx
    • Posted

Thank you Wendy soo much, your replies have made me feel soo much more positive! Cant wait to get it removed to be feeling normal again. Glad to hear that your feeling back to normal,👍x
    • Posted

I had a silicone seal done by my surgeon and it meant the scar was sealed off and waterproof so I didn't wear any other dressing after about day 4/5 as I found it was causing me more pain than the Op! If it's an option for you I definately recommend it, my scar is barely visible now too.
    • Posted

Hi emma66070. I heard of silicone cream and tape last week. but to be honest my first op scar nearly gone. but it is suppose to be good stuff for scars and burns.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.