Awaiting diagnosis of OLP!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi 

I saw my dentist 7 week ago who said he saw white patch on the inside of cheek and said had I been stressed. Changing jobs, new baby on the way and I generally worry about everything! He asked me to return if the patch hasnt gone and yesterday i returned to dentist  and patch remains. Dentist states he is 99% sure its OLP but sending me for a biopsy in a few week.

He states its not sinister and I have had this for at least 7 weeks with no symptoms may have been there up to 6 months!

I have no pain, sores can feel it to touch and see in a mirror so I have currently gotten of lightly but wondering what to expect as googles a mine field and keep finding the dreaded C word that stresses me further being a new dad!

Any support or advice welcome 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I’ve had OLP diagnosed by biopsy for about 7 Years. I was a smoker at the time the white spots/streaks were seen in my mouth so when I was waiting in the chair for those biopsy results I got a serious reality check. I did have precancerous cells but when I gave up smoking luckily things were ok. There’s a very minor risk of  OLP developing into oral cancer which is of course increased if you’re a smoker. If yours is stress related I don’t think you’ve much to worry about. Easier said then done I know! I get flare ups every few years or so always caused by stress. 

You may be prescribed steroids that you swish around your mouth & spit out. That always resolves mine. Hope you are reassured a bit. 

• Posted

Hi Anthony. Like you I was diagnosed with oral lichen planus as well and I was terrified of having cancer in my mouth. They did a biopsy on me and good news is it is definitely not cancer. The oral surgeon told me that if you have cancer in your mouth you will know very quickly within 24 hours because it would become a lump in your mouth. The white patch is probably a lace like patch which is very typical with oral lichen planus. Good luck with your biopsy. It's always easy for them to tell you to avoid stress but unfortunately for some of us that's not an option. What I can tell you is stay away from sugar and any kind of acidic food especially vinegars citrus fruits crunchy foods and salty foods. Lichen planus feeds on these things

• Posted

Thank you for the replies 

It's definitely a lacey white patch in my inner cheek! I was convinced it was from me biting my gum in the night as I have history of teeth grinding but dentist convinced its not that!

Hopefully it's nothing serious and if its OLP i can continue to have minimal issues!

I feel im checking it in the mirror every 5 minutes!

• Posted

Still awaiting my appointment for my potential biopsy for OLP. I find myself checking my mouth every hour to see if OLP has changed and begin finding smaller bumps and red patches in my mouth! These things probably have been coming and going for 30 plus years but since the dentpointed the lacey white patch I keep thinking I have developed something else!

Still no other symptoms apart from painless white patch, just wish I had this appointment to ease  my mind!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.