Awaiting ENT Appt

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've been having these dizzy spells since at least September 2016. Here's how they go: I go deaf in my left ear (it feels very full and I cannot hear anything out of it) then the room starts spinning, I get really hot and nauseous and start sweating. I get these spells about once every week. They've lasted as long as 20 to 30 minutes but usually last around 5-10 minutes. Does this sound like MD? Im 20 weeks pregnant and this sucks lol

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Faith.  Too little information to determine if you have MD.  Next step is to see an ENT and/or have an audiogram (hearing test) which will determine if you have MD.  You need to have LOW FREQUENCY hearing loss as a requirement for MD.  Only a hearing test can determine that.  Let us know the outcome of the test.  If it is MD we can help you cope on this forum. 

By the way, MD vertigo attacks almost always last at least 20 minutes.  Since you are having many 5-10 minute episodes, it sounds unlike MD.  Your ENT will be the one to determine diagnosis.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. 

• Posted

It could be MD, but awaits confirmation from ENT.  You will need an audiogram also.  Do you have tinnitus also (ringing in the ears)?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

My hearing test is this Friday at 1pm. I will update as soon as I get results. I do experience tinnitus as well. Im very anxious for results as I am also being observed for a mass in my left breast (plus a crazy auxiliary lymph node that swells and then disappears) but they recommend against the biopsy since I am 5 months pregnant. My brain is just thinking of the worst and Im very anxious to at least have an answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.