Awaiting Gynae appointment, what should I expect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

After a very long and painful 6 nearly 7 years I’ve finally been referred to gynaecology. I am awaiting my appointment which is in a week but I’m extremely anxious that I’m not going to be listened to. I’ve been in agony, to the point I’ve nearly rang ambulances because I couldn’t move and previously had emergency surgery due to a ruptured cyst.

My GP did hormone tests which are all normal, I’m nervous that the consultant isn’t going to listen and that I’m going to continue to be in pain, even though I’m taking pain relief frequently. I have had irregular periods for years, and dealing with frequent pain that makes me want to vomit. Ive also not been on any contraception for nearly 2 years as thats what they thought was causing the pain.

My GP is sure that it’s endometriosis, but I’m worried that the consultant isn’t going to hear me out.

Has anyone got any advice for the appointment? Can they diagnose me with any gynae issue there and then if that’s what it is? What should I expect?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Your description of your symptoms sounds like endometriosis. However I can understand your apprehension that you will not be listened to.

Dont forget you are going to see someone who is dealing with endometriosis all the time so will know exactly what to look for.

Make a bullet point list of all the main things which are causing you problems. Dont go into masses of details....just the main things. Also make a concise list of all the questions you want to ask......if you dont have a list you will not remember. Dont make it too long . He/she will expect you to ask questions.

Expect to be examined ...your abdomen externally and probably a vaginal exam as well. So dont wear complicated clothing to get on and off. You will have a nurse in the room as well.

You may have a transvaginal ultrasound done on the day or you may be asked to go back for one. You may have other types of scans done.

You may be put on a list for laparoscopy, so that the consultant can look at your internal organs to see if there is any sign of endometriosis. This will be a sort of keyhole surgery.

Your consultant may ask for a further blood test .

Dont expect an instant result......sometimes these tests can take a while and the consultant will want as many as possible done to reach any conclusion.

At the end of any consultation ask for a copy of the consultants letter which will be written to your GP so you know exactly what is going on. Some hospitals do this automatically but others dont. It may take a few days or even weeks to get to you, depending on how busy his secretarial team are.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.