Awaiting Knee surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm a new member here. I'm on a waiting list for surgery to have a new knee on the NHS. I am totally dependant on my vehicle to get around until after the op. It appears that I am not entitled to apply for a standard blue parking badge because my disability is only temporary, does anyone know any different? Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neil welcome.

It totally depends on your local council as regards to a Blue Badge. The criteria for the these though has changed massively in the last couple of years and they have got so much harder to get. I would suspect though that most councils won't give one for something that's temporary, sadly. I know of a few people with temporary disability that got refused also. Sorry i can't give you better news.

• Posted

Thanks for that. I didn't know it was up to your local council to run ther own scheme, I thought it was just "one" nation wide scheme.

• Posted

No it's not a nationwide scheme although most councils are fairly similar. I've just never heard of anyone getting a Blue Badge for something that's temporary. With Blue Badges unless a person automatically qualifies through DLA/PIP then it's very hard to obtain one now.

• Posted

I have a neighbour who cannot get a residential parking bay out side their house because she is not the driver but they did qualify for a blue badge which she has found useful. As for your appointment for surgery, don't hold your breath now they have brought in somethig like a dept that vets your referral and they decide how inportant it is not the consultants.weird? It's a bit like you ring your doctor and ask to see them, they have trained for 7 years and yet if you let them the receptionist who has no medical training wil  tell you what you should do.

Hop your op goes ok and you get well soon and you do not suffer the stress that all disabled people are going through since the government stopped DLA if you are not young or a pensioner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.