Awaiting PA test

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I have been in and out my Dr's for 12 months. I have had shingles 11 times in the last 12 months! I was taken in to A&E 12 months ago with heart palpitations and breathlessness (suspect heart attack turned out to be tachycardia) I am now 32.

Since around Christmas time. I have been groggy, extremely tired, headaches, irritable and feeling low, frequent heart palpitations. The feeling of numbness in feet and hands.

Last month I noticed a large lump just above my collar bone, I went to my GP and he said not to worry about it. He said it is most likely related to the recurring shingles. I had just got over another lot of shingles, 2nd time since May.

Shingles returned with a vengeance last week and I had a funny turn whilst at work, my hands went numb and my heart was racing, my vision went blurry and I nearly collapsed. I was taken into hospital by ambulance. I had a blood test and my Dr Called me yesterday to discuss results.

He said I had a B12 deficiency as my level was 179 and that I would need to start the injections ASAP. So I am booked in every other day for two weeks, then every 3 months. He then said I need to come back in for another blood test, as he wants to check for P.A . This is being done tomorrow.

I have also discovered that my nan has PA and has injections every 3 months.

My questions are, does anyone else experience recurring shingles with either PA or B12 defeciency? It is really getting me down, I now fear I have a urine infection to top it all off sad

Also, does anyone actually get to the root of why they have PA? or do we just acquire it with time? Could you have always had it?

I suppose all i can do now is await to hear if I have PA. I still have the lump above my collar bone, but my Dr is adamant it is a swollen lymph node due to shingles.

Thanks for taking time to read this x

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

Have you had a blood test to confirm shingles? Sorry to suggest it but could you have herpes? If you havent done so get a blood test to determine the exact virus you have.

I do and also suffer heart palps.

Deb

• Posted

Hi Deb, yes confirmed as Shingles last year sad I too was worried it was Herpes after around the 4th Time I had it sad

• Posted

Hi All, I now have puffy eyes! Started my loading shots on Monday this week, had my second lot yesterday and my eyes are all puffy...anyone else get this?? Awaiting the PA results anyday now x
    • Posted

Hi Louise7777, "puffy eyes" is not something I have experirnced myself in relation to B12 injections but as your brain "wakes up" to loads of new messages from parts of the body it had previously forgotten about your awareness of them will be heightened as the "repairs" to your nervous system are carried out.

The current spell of hot and dry weather / high pollen count may be a contributing factor for your eyes but if you really are worried about them have a word with your GP, Nurse or Pharmacist.

I'm not trying to worry you but some of your neurological symptoms MAY APPEAR to feel worse before they get start to get better - this is quite normal and if it happens you can almost have a perverse pleasure in thinking that you are on the road to recovery.

Please do not stress too much Louise7777 whilst awaiting your results as this just uses up the B12 you are getting.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Thank you Clive, today is not a good day sad I have woke up feeling terrible the last 2 mornings, like a constatnt hangover. My skin on my hands has gone so dry and hard, I have spots on my face, my hair appears dry and brittle. I have my 3rd injection later today. I am hoping blood results are also back today so I can discuss them hopefully. My left hand was numb most of yesterday and I just cannot concentrate at work. I struggle to stay awake past 8pm. I am so tearful. I am sorry to sound so down and out but I really do feel absolutely rubbish sad

• Posted

I'm saddened to read this Louise7777 maybe a quick trip to your pharmacist would be a good idea.  I feel for you.

• Posted

Hi Louise, 

i'm so sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell. Is it possible that you have caught a virus at the same time as starting your injections? If not, then are you taking a general BVitamin supplement, to keep all the B Vits balanced? You may also be low in iron, which is needed to use the B12 properly. Wishing you better soon. Marion 

• Posted

Hi Marion, thank you for your reply. I feel good at the moment, I think the injections are taking effect smile

• Posted

Hi Louise

I too am having the worst day ever!! Woke up this morning feeling really good as have just started on injections every other day for forseeable future due to peripheral neuropathy - did a slight bit of pottering in kitchen, friend came for lunch and then wham!! Exhausted!!! Legs like the heaviest ever, cud hardly get upstairs and now in bed feeling horrendous - why???? Just feel so unwell right now when surely should be on the mend???? X

• Posted

Sadly Mable1964 the B12 injections are not an overnight magic wand cure for your neuropathy as it takes time to repair the damage the deficiency has caused to your nervous system and the symptoms you are having now may well be the result of repair work being carried out.  Do you have B12 Deficiency or P.A?

I am not a medically qualified person but a P.A. "sufferer" for nearly 45 years and as I understand it the damage to the myelin sheathing of the nerves is like if an electric cable's insulation is damaged and the current "leaks" away and doesn't light up the lamp.  Repair the myelin damage and all of a sudden the brain "lights up" as it is bombarded and overwhelmed with messages from places it had forgotten existed and it takes a time for these messages to be processed.

There is no set time for recovery or "feeling better" as no two people are the same and the longer you've had the deficiency the longer the recovery.

Somewhat perversely one could take comfort from the fact that despite things seemingly getting worse before they get better what you are feeling now indicates that the B12 is working.

I say this in almost every comment I make - do you know what your folate level was before injections started as it is essential to keep this at a good level in order to process the B12?

I wish you well

• Posted

Hi Clive

Thanks for reply

No I'm not sure of my folate level but will find out

Can I take anything for that?

• Posted

I agree take some iron and vit c to help the absorbtion...and general B vit. Good luck.

• Posted

Personally I take 1 – Folic Acid 400µg every day but you should check with your G.P. what your current level is before supplementing as I cannot say what is right for you.

However, depending on your diet, many fruits and vegetables are good sources of folate. Some breakfast cereals are fortified with folic acid as noted on the side of the packet.. Beef liver contains high amounts of folate. Green vegetables such as sprouts, broccoli, peas, & beans. Nuts, and eggs also have folate

• Posted

I hope you are feeling somewhat better Mable? I felt the effects finally yesterday, I feel like the cloud is lifting x
  • Posted

Hi all, yesterday was the first day that I could feel my energy level rising! it was amazing to be honest lol. Had my 4th loading injection yesterday so it was like a booster and I felt great by the afternoon. I felt so much relief to feel the cloud lifting, PA result still not back, was told it can take around 2 weeks, so Im still a sitting duck at the moment but to be honest, I am just so happy that the B12 injections are taking effect smile

• Posted

So pleased to read this Louise7777.

Let us know the results of the P.A. test

• Posted

So glad you are feeling better! Hope it continues and your results will confirm the cause. 😉👍

• Posted

Hi Louise. So pleased you are feeling better and hopefully on road to recovery.

Unfortunately I still feel awful and legs the worse they gave ever been!! Balance not good today and very weepy - so trying to be positive but finding it very hard

Drs at 4.40 to discuss folate iron etc - hopefully will help!!!

• Posted

Sorry to hear this Mable sad feeling tearful is the worst thing. I know it is so hard to keep positive when you feel so down and out x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.