Awaiting PA test

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I have been in and out my Dr's for 12 months. I have had shingles 11 times in the last 12 months! I was taken in to A&E 12 months ago with heart palpitations and breathlessness (suspect heart attack turned out to be tachycardia) I am now 32.

Since around Christmas time. I have been groggy, extremely tired, headaches, irritable and feeling low, frequent heart palpitations. The feeling of numbness in feet and hands.

Last month I noticed a large lump just above my collar bone, I went to my GP and he said not to worry about it. He said it is most likely related to the recurring shingles. I had just got over another lot of shingles, 2nd time since May.

Shingles returned with a vengeance last week and I had a funny turn whilst at work, my hands went numb and my heart was racing, my vision went blurry and I nearly collapsed. I was taken into hospital by ambulance. I had a blood test and my Dr Called me yesterday to discuss results.

He said I had a B12 deficiency as my level was 179 and that I would need to start the injections ASAP. So I am booked in every other day for two weeks, then every 3 months. He then said I need to come back in for another blood test, as he wants to check for P.A . This is being done tomorrow.

I have also discovered that my nan has PA and has injections every 3 months.

My questions are, does anyone else experience recurring shingles with either PA or B12 defeciency? It is really getting me down, I now fear I have a urine infection to top it all off sad

Also, does anyone actually get to the root of why they have PA? or do we just acquire it with time? Could you have always had it?

I suppose all i can do now is await to hear if I have PA. I still have the lump above my collar bone, but my Dr is adamant it is a swollen lymph node due to shingles.

Thanks for taking time to read this x

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just because you don't have full blown PA dosent mean your low B12 dosent still need treating.  There is a tipping point and PA happens when you are really at the bottom.  I have been anemic a couple of time in my life and if I don't have the shots my B12 levels drop and drop.  Eventually I assume I would become anemic again without treatment in the end.

The reasons you are not absorbing B12 (and we can only absorbe 'active' B12) can be a variety.  It could be genetic, gastric issues or drugs you are or have taken such as Metformin or Omprazole.

• Posted

Thank you for your replys everyone. Yes my Dr has said I do not need the B12 shots now as my level is 'normal' after my last shot being 3 months ago (had a b12 shot this week straight after blood test). I just really do not want to feel like I did back in July, that was awful! So now the bloods are back and normal, I am not booked in for any more shots.

Debbyog1, I was taken to hospital with tachyardia 12 months ago, I have frequent palpitations and rapid heart beat, I am just acustomed to it now! But no I have never really had anything investigated. x

• Posted

I think your doctor should monitor your serum B12 and serum Folate levels regularly if he/she is not going to give you any more injections as you simply cannot afford to slip back into deficiency again especially if you have an absorption problem for reasons mentioned by Debbyog above.
    • Posted

Do you know what your 'normal' B12 level was?  I would aim to keep over 500.  The level for treatment in the UK is very low compared to other parts of *Europe and Japan where they treat when levels fall below 450.  I had the same experience with my Doctor where shots were stopped once I achieved normal.  Once I started to fall low again I went and told Doctor this* and they started them straight away. I will have these now for the rest of my life. I did the same for my Dad with his GP.  I don't intend to ever let myself fall below 500 again.

I would think that when you have low B12 and oxygen is not getting round to heart quickly enough you would then expect palpitations.  However if this continues I would get checked out properly.  I collapsed and was eventualy diagnosed with heart block (electrical signals misfire).  The problem is it only happens 7% of the time so is very hard to spot on normal heart monitoring, I had to have a monitor inplanted before I got my pacemaker.

• Posted

thanks debbyog1, my most recent level was 390, my original b12 level was 179 in July this year, hence the b12 shots. so it has gone up by 200 in 3 months rolleyes  after loading doses in August. I just really want to get to the bottom of this, mt GP is so very flippent about it all x

• Posted

Since you still have symptoms I would definatley want to keep on with regular shots. 390 is still low. Tell GP in Europe and Japan they treat when levels fall below 450.  I belive there are protocols here in UK to continue treatment where symptoms still exist even if levels appear 'normal'.  It takes months for your organs to recover from low B12 levels.

• Posted

I agree with Debbyog about the level of serum B12

Under the heading "Types of tests for B12 Deficiency" talking about the Serum Vitamin B12 Test a couple of experts in America say:

"However, it appears that these markers demonstrate B12 deficiency primarily in patients whose serum B12 is in the "gray zone" (a serum B12 result between 200 pg/ml and 450 pg/ml).  We believe that the "normal" B12 threshold needs to be raised from 200 pg/ml to at least 450 pg/ml because deficiencies begin to appear in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) below 550 pg/ml

At this time, we believe normal serum B12 levels should be greater than 550 pg/ml. For brain and nervous system health and prevention of disease in older adults, serum B12 levels should be maintained near or above 1,000 pg/ml." 

• Posted

Everything Debbyog and Clive have said makes sense to me. Breathlessness was one of my major symptoms, going upstairs used to leave me gasping for breath. Have they said whether there is any enlargement of your red blood cells, as this can effect your oxygen levels in your blood. It is harder for the oxygen to be transferred between the blood and the lungs if the cells are enlarged. ( I think I have that right?)

Depending how long your levels have been low, will govern how long it takes to recover. I would say it took me over a year, and my level was 176 when diagnosed. My GP continued with three monthly injections throughout that time.

Are you taking any dietary supplements at all? Are you in the U.K.?

Best wishes Marion x

• Posted

Hi Marion yes I am in UK, my GP did say to me my red cells were large at my initial 1st blood test when they found the low B12 level, I didnt really think much of this as he didnt say much else?? No I havent been taking any supplements but I will look into this. My face has broken out in horrible spots again! The b12 shot does something to my skin, it took 2 months for my skin to clear up after the loading doses x
    • Posted

It could be that you are allergic to one or other of the "excipients" (or ingredients) of the hydroxocobalamin injections you are having.

In the 1980s, after having been treated with cyanocobalamin for 15 years or so I was swapped to hydroxo and I suffered headaches, nausea and came out in rashes..  I complained and was reverted back on to the cyano and am still on it today.

Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.