awaiting testing and diagnosis and scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im currently awaiting an EUS this will be my first, I had my second acute attack back in June and am so terrified its something more sinister. I know this fear is probably completely unwarranted as I am a 28 year old female; but, still I cant shake the fear of "what if this is pancreatic cancer." I think the not knowing why I am having this or what my pancreas actually looks like is really getting to me, that and the pain that I am still having and of course the other symptoms that come with pancreatitis (abdomen that feels swollen in the middle and on the left side, stools that float.) I am sure were all aware. I just don't know how to stop thinking about it and feel like everytime I turn around I see mention of it, wether on a support group or in the news.. Im going crazy please someone tell me im not the only one who has had this fear, how do you overcome it? 

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My dr’s have totally written me off as crazy.  Two of them have said to me, “you do not have cancer” but refuse to believe I have pain. I have a second opinion on September 26th.
  • Posted

Seriously, if you have had these symptoms for 20 months and are still alive and reasonably well, believe me, you do not have pancreatic cancer. I know because I’m am currently recovering from PC (one of the lucky ones). Yes, it’s hard to diagnose early and it did take a long time to definitively get a PC diagnosis but right from the off, it was obvious from my first scan that my pancreas was badly inflamed. Trouble was, everything came back normal for the next nine months despite me having crippling pain most of the time, losing nearly three stone in a matter of six weeks at the beginning and being quite unwell. I baffled all the consultants who thought it was chronic pancreatitis (and I had to follow a strict diet which didn’t help with the weight) but I suddenly became very ill with jaundice and biliary sepsis which hospitised me and an emergency ERCP once I was stable confirmed the cancer (a CT taken on my initial admission showed the tumour at last too - it was massive). Luckily I was eligible for a Whipples operation and the cancer was confined to my pancreas only and nowhere else. I was reasonably young (52) and fit so that helped. 

It would be rare to have PC if you’re under 50 although it does happen. My advice would be to stay away from Dr Google. He is NOT your friend. I would only recommend the NHS website or Pancreatic Cancer UK for reliable information and even then only if you have a diagnosis. By all means check out worrying symptoms but if your tests are constantly coming back clear then give yourself a rest and enjoy your life. 

• Posted

Hi,

I have experiencing my symptoms for 10 months.  I have posted on this feed several times so I don’t want to keep repeating myself.  Basically, all my tests have been normal with the exception of a hot spot showing on s bone scan which they don’t seem to be concerned with.  Any suggestions? I still have symptoms.

• Posted

I am so happy to hear you are in remission!! 

Thank you for the "quit being psycho" words of wisdom lol I can count my first pank issues back into 2012 (first actual acute attack was 2016) so when I think about it that way it makes me feel better. 

I think just not knowing and being alone with my little girls in a state far far away from any family messes with me and then I go to the worst place possible (thanks google) hahahaha. I was just scheduled for my first mrcp so wish me luck! 

I hope you've kicked this cancers butt! Thank you 

• Posted

Yes. Stop worrying about it. Anxiety will only exacerbate any symptoms you do have. If you want to drive yourself crazy obsessing about cancer, that’s up to you but as I said above, if you’re still alive after this long I doubt it’s cancer. I’m not a doctor but I see so much of your sort of thing in these forums. I’d get off the internet - it doesn’t do you any good and only feeds your fears.
  • Posted

Do you experience pain with movement? Does movement have any effect on your pain?
    • Posted

No, not really it's more so pain without movement. It's bad when lying down and sitting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.