Awaiting treatment for potential detached retina. Can I cover my injured eye?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all,

I was hit in the left eye by a tennis ball earlier today and I want straight to the eye emergency department. My symptoms are that of having a detached retina, but because of the blood inside I have been put on two different eye drops and I am to go back on Monday once the blood clears up a bit.

My question is, the flashing lights and the general sensitivity of the injured eye is causing me to have quite the headache. When I cover the eye with a piece of cloth, the pain goes away. Am I ok to keep it covered until I go back for further treatment, removing it to apply my eye drops?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm no expert but I've had a lot of eye issues in my time and I cannot think of any reason why not. The contrary, it's probably a good idea to protect that eye.

Why don't you go straight to the chemist and buy a proper eye patch with elastic? They are slightly conical in shape and so are specially designed to protrude over the eye socket so they don't interfere in your blinking and eye movements at all. Really comfortable.

Make you look like Long John Silver! Very fetching!

• Posted

I would ring A & E for their opinion. I personally wouldn't black out the eye completely after being told the eye could stop working. I've had both cataracts replaced, even then the eye patch had holes in it.

Good luck

• Posted

Do you have sunglasses more appropriate as they will let light in.

• Posted

Thanks, I did indeed end up wearing my sunglasses as it reduced the headache and let me keep what's left of my vision. Currently, the flashing has gone and I have no reason to cover it anymore.

Hoping I can recover most of my vision when I go back tomorrow

• Posted

Sounds like it's healing... Be sure your sunglasses have good quality lenses because right now your eye is especially vulnerable. Best to use the patch when you don't need both eyes, at least until you see the eye doctor again.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you 😃 It ended up being just a bleed and my retina was saved somehow by my eye instantly filling with blood at impact, protecting my retina and beyond! This is why I went blind for a few minutes after being hit. I have a blind spot in my left eye that is slowly decreasing as the blood drains (this spot is where the blood is blocking that part of my vision).

They are taking a wait and see approach, I am to go back in 4 weeks for a follow-up. I have about 60% of my vision back already so i'm very hopeful! Thanks for your help/advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.