Awful Acid reflux!!!!!.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I have suffered with acid reflux for some years now and take medication for this Lansoprazole. The last say 2 weeks I have been feeling really sick with this I have tried antacid tablets which did nothing! Then I was thinking because of my age(46) and peri( premeapausable) which does make symptoms worse. But I feel that bad with it thinking my medication needs to change. Is this normal to feel so sick? When I ring the doctors it's always busy then when I do get through they have no appointments for the I want? I work so the hours I get given r when I'm at work!!. Is this normal with acid reflux to feel sick if so what can I take to take the sickness taste away? My medication is it advisable to change my medication? Has or is anyone experiencing this problem too?my medication has always worked quite well for me up until recentely!!.any advice please as to what I should do? Thankyou for reading.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Was the sickness feeling there before Lanzoprazole intake?

David

• Posted

I assume you are in the UK, many surgeries operate a triage system if you want an appointment today. You speak to the triage nurse, tell them you have had this problem for 2 wks now and you need to see a doctor in the next day or two. They will assess you and you should get an appt.

My Lanzoprozole doesn't work sometimes and I often have to increase the dose, but it never makes me feel sick. It could be something completly unrelated which is why it would be good to get it checked out

• Posted

Hi wknight, yesbim a uk resident. Yesbim have an a appoitment Tom with a doctor!!. My medication has always worked for me but as I said for 2 weeks I have had this siky feeling. So I'll let the doctor do his detection work on me.
  • Posted

Nausea and regurgitation can be associated with your acid reflux. The lansoprazole will reduce the acid but doesn't reduce the reflux which is probably your main protagonist presently.

To reduce reflux:

Lose weight if necessary. Avoid tight clothing. Eat small meals and more frequently. Avoid exercise after food that compresses the stomach (including bending). Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed. Raise th ehead of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

The doctor can prescribe Domperidone which may help. (It is available over the counter as Motillium.)

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Barretts. To reduce the reflux: I do sleep with my head raised ( advise of a doctor many years ago!!) I'm a slim size 10 as I eat healthy and just slim figured. And I know what certain foods to keep away. One tip from you I will try eating small meals ( that I remember years ago when I was pregnant was told to eat smaller meals because off the sickness ). I will also make a note and ask the doctor about Domeridone Thankyou for that. I will keep you All updated as I'm seeing a doctor this morning!!!!!!!. Cheers.x
  • Posted

Michelle it must be going round as I am going though my worst flare up ever too. I went into remission last month then stupidly started eating cakes and pies after two years of abstinence. Just how daft can one get? As Barrets says PPI's seem to stop working on reflux. This is just so true and there doesnt seem to be a pill made yet that solves this problem, none go even close or we sufferers here would have found it dont you think? My wife did get LPR during menopause and yes she eventually got it to ease right back through careful eating. I have had some minor improvement by cutting all sugar, grains and dairy but havent quite nailed it yet despite proffessional help.
  • Posted

Could be bile reflux. I get so sick it feels like food poisoning.

When I was prescribed acid mess it made it much worse as acid helps bile digest.

Anyway. I also eat bits of candied ginger I find it is an instant cure for that heart burn feeling.

• Posted

I would suggest keeping a food journal to see if you can figure out what might be triggering it. I know for me Stress is a big factor.
    • Posted

Yes. Stress is a big factor for me as well. And I have found eliminating beef, salmon, and peanut butter has helped. I started eating oatmeal with powdered peanut butter! All the peanut buttery taste without the fat! I want to cut coffee too but I have not been brave enough yet.

Can died ginger is a life saver.

I read a bit about taking bentonite clay. I am not sure about this....but I like the idea of avoiding drugs.

• Posted

I take 40mg Emozul in the morning and Gaviscon at bedtime. Seems to work for me. Does anyone suffer with the breathlessness and how do you deal with it. Any help would be much appreciated. 
    • Posted

i always find organic cider vinegar helps for that or bicarbonate of soda.
    • Posted

Proponents of apple cider vinegar suggest two to three teaspoonfuls should be stirred into a small glass of water to be consumed before every meal and offer two alternative theories as to why it may work.

1. By providing acid to the stomach before food, the stomach may be fooled into expecting more acid and therefore doesn't need to produce so much.

2. The Lower Oesophageal Sphincter muscles are activated to tighten by acid; drinking ACV before a meal "wakes up" the LOS.

Both of these claims, however, fail to recognise the comparative strengths of stomach acid, which can dissolve metal and would produce scarring if spilled on the skin, and ACV whose only effect on the skin would be to make it feel wet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.