Awful back pain 3.5 weeks post rectocele repair

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just wondered if this was normal. I’ve always suffered with a bad back but since my surgery I’ve had no issues. The last few days I am in agony with lower back pain. No exaggeration, I don’t know what to do with my self. It’s a horrible throbbing ache right in the middle of my lower back. Paracetamol/ibuprofen aren’t touching it. I haven’t had a BM for two days so could it be due to that? I am taking laxido but no movement as of yet. 

I don’t feel well in myself. I’ve woken up with an awful chest, achey joints, dizziness and just generally feeling under the weather, very flu like. So I don’t know if the back pain is due to this, or the repair. 

Feel like I’m constantly second guessing everything. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

How often do you usually have a BM?

Any tummy pain or tummy distention?

Any Nausea or Vomiting?

Are you passing urine?

Any PV or PR Bleeding?

Any shooting/electric shock pains anywhere?

Do you remember how the pain started?

• Posted

Usually every day for BM, if not every other. So it’s not terribly out of the ordinary but I have IBS. I just thought taking laxido would keep me regular for now. 

No tummy pain or distension. A few aches and pains in the lower abdomen, but nothing out of the ordinary for the last few weeks. 

I feel quite nauseous but haven’t been sick. 

I’m passing urine fine. 

It started sometime yesterday, no other shooting or stabbing pains anywhere . Occasionally a few little sharp pains into my buttocks from my lower back. 

No bleeding. 

I went for a light walk round a craft fair yesterday. I sat down when I needed to so I don’t think I overdid it. 

• Posted

If the pain is horrendous - it could be a slipped disc.

If so - it will get better on its own.

• Posted

How could I have done it if it is that?! The most I’ve done since my op is a short walk 
  • Posted

Your pain is definately surgery related. I'm sorry but can't agree at all on the slipped disc. At the point you're at, the stitches all start really tightening up & some girls get worse pain then than they had in the first post-op period. This is usually 3-5wk mark. And now it seems like you've caught the flu. Are you flu immunized?  Were you someone public 48hrs ago where you could have picked up flu virus? Remember you are more vulnerable to bugs due to the surgery & the toll that takes on the body. Not having had a BM won't help but it won't also be the main cause of this. Are you drinking lots and eating lots of fruit & veg? Tried prunes or prune juice?

• Posted

I tend to agree about the slipped disc. I’ve done nothing strenuous to cause such a thing. Most I’ve lifted is a milk bottle to make a cuppa. 

The stitches on my perineum have felt very tight the last few days so you’re probably right. It’s just thrown me how much pain I’m in after having felt so much better in the week. It’s a very up and down recovery. 

I’ve had a BM now. I think it’s just taking a while to get going. I’ve not had much appetite at all since surgery. I’ve lost half a stone just sitting on my arse at home. That being said I’ve eaten a lot of veg recently. x 

• Posted

Oh you're doing good! It's a long road but achievable. You're so lucky to loose that weight but unlucky with it being because of what caused it! Keep looking ahead & you'll make it! Take regular pain meds by the clock. Don't wait till you're really sore before taking them. They work best at preventing pain more so than ridding pain that's already there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.