Awful bloating and upper right side abdominal pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All

Apologies - long post. In March 2019 I started to develop some gastric problems - constipation, the runs, feeling as thou i had not finished, lost appetite, nausea. I put it down to a change in my medication for high BP and statin. Anyway this carried on for a few months, spoke to doctor who first of all suggested gastritis and gave me some meds, which did nothing. i did a blood poo test which was negative (and have done 2 more in the past 6 months, both negative).

I spoke to a different doctor who suggested a colonoscopy and endoscopy, however the waiting list is 18 months! so I decided to go private, made an appointment. Then typically all my symptoms disappeared! I cancelled scopes and looked forward to a healthy gut.

But now for the last 3 months I have experienced huge bloating of the stomach, pain (mild discomfort) in upper right abdomen and a constant gurgling stomach. I was recently put on gastro resist tablets, use gaviscon and rennie but get little relief. My bowel movement s are now totally normal.

I am booked for scopes but not for 6 weeks. Obviously my biggest fear is cancer.

I am otherwise a pretty fit 48yo male.

Thank you for your thoughts.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

gastritis causes bloating and pain in upper abdomen. i would schedule endoscopy so you can get a better grasp on whats happening. could also be your gallbladder and a number of things other than your worse fear. try to relax and maybe eat small portions of bland food to see how you feel after.

• Posted

Hi Heather

It seems as if you have had similar issues. May i ask how long you had symptoms and what helped?

thank you

• Posted

my symptoms started overa year ago and i still have them off and on i stay away from ibuprofen and i try to stay away from bad foods but thats easier said than done

• Posted

Hi Keith

I had exactly the same symptoms

I had an ultrasound and they said it was trapped bowel gas. I still have good days and bad days, think it is linked to diet, portion size and anxiety in my case

• Posted

hi Adam

how long did your symptoms go on for and what helps?

thank you

• Posted

Hello again Keith. My symptoms are still there i have good days and bad . Is yours like a gnawing pain/sensation?

• Posted

Hi

i did have an ultrasound that was all clear. all blood tests clear!

bowel now mucg better but so bloated and localised dull pain upper right just under rib cage.

on and off for 10 months!!

• Posted

Could be IBS and or gastritis as was first suggested by your doctor.since your symptoms come and go. Have you tried a food diary to see a food triggers symptoms? Have you been stressed recently? Does stress trigger flare ups? Consider these reasons first.

• Posted

Hi there

It sounds as if you may have IBS or at worse case a gallbladder problem, my gb issue started with these symptoms. It may be worth keeping a food diary just to see if there are triggers. Do keep pursuing the tests as no guessing will give you the answers or peace of mind.

best wishes

• Posted

Hi

Joanna

Can i ask how long ypur symptoms lasted and what helps?

thank you

• Posted

My symptoms lasted for about 2 years, being told it was ibs etc, I developed horrible reflux issues. I realised that saturated fats were very hard to digest, especially, cream, cheese, eggs, chocolate. I lived on very bland diet having small amounts regularly. Like I said do keep pursuing the

tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.