Awful Head and neck pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Was put on statins 2 years ago after an optic nerve stroke. Took them for about 18 months but stopped them due to leg cramps (now completely gone) and pain in my neck that sent awful pain similar to nerve pain to the top of my head. 6 months on and I still have awful neck pain, and at least one very bad headache a week that can last 2 days. Have spoken to my GP - useless, who said he didnt know how long the effects would last. I am watching my diet and trying to exercize but I am 68 and have a cronic bladder issue so not easy to exercize. All I know is I wish i had never started statins and will never use them again. I think it is really very wrong for companies to sell a product that can have such awful long term effects.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Julia,

I have heard from other patients it could take up to a year before your body has completely healed but it will get better. Everyone is different is all I keep hearing. And the Dr's continue to say it's not the statin that caused it, I've heard the same from 4 different Drs. I was on atorvastatin for just 6 months and had brain fog, headaches 24/7, vision problems, vertigo and night sweats but it couldn't be the statin is all I kept hearing. I decided to quit taking them on my own 8 weeks ago and have seen significant improvement. Still have headaches as well but not as bad as 2 months ago. I will never take another drug like that again. Eat rt, exercise as much as you can and it will get better.

• Posted

Thank you Scott that gives me hope, I have to deal with a cronic Bladder condition and now having to deal with the risidual effects of the statins is really a bit much to deal with.

As Portacream said it is all about money, Doctors and  pharmaceutical companies work closely together, but with so many having serious side effects to Statins there must be a problem with them. I have never had pain in my head like I have now, I keep being told it is a migraine but it is not, I have had migraines for years and this is totally different, and they come from the cramps in my neck and shoulder blades. Hope you continue to improve

• Posted

Just thought I would give an update.. I have been on Magnesium Chelate 1000mg which is equal to 200g elemental magnesium for about 3 weeks now, taking 2 tablets per day. The head pains from the statins have GONE.

Feeling so much better and am now walking 3 to 4 km a day to keep cholesterol in check.

• Posted

Hi Julia,

How long ago did you give up on taking the statins? It's been 4 months for me and I still have the neck and head pains, it's better but still have it mild..

Scott

• Posted

I was on Statins for about 18 months and now about 6 months since stopping them. It has taken about 4 ot 5 weeks on Magnesium before seeing really good results. I have also increased the dosage by changing brands I am now taking Australian Natural Care - Magnesium Chelate 1000mg. I take one in the morning and one with dinner. Important to eat when you take them as it is the fat that carries the magnesium around the body. I never eat breakfast so have started having one of those breakfast drinks you get from the supermarket with my morning tablet. I am also using magnesium cream still on my neck, but where as it was a daily and often twice daily thing I would do, now it is down to maybe once a week when I get a twinge in my neck. As you know I also suffer cronic migrain but again they have almost stopped I might get what feels like the start of a migrain but I rub a bit of cream on my neck and it stops.
    • Posted

Hi julia,

Do you still take the magnesium even though the headaches have subsided. I noticed I sleep better after being on for just 4 days now.

Scott

• Posted

Hi Scott

Interesting question because I did stop them for a couple of days - then the head pain "came back" ! so yes I intend to stay on them. I have found they have resolved all the constipation issues I had as well as a noticable improvement in a bladder disease I have so they seem to be an overall good thing to take. Glad they seem to be helping you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.