Awful lot of anxiety about my new fillings and dental receptionist is tired of hearing from me

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi members of this forum i am new here but i joined because i recently had some amalgam fillings which im very very aware contain mercury. I was not told before my appointment of this fact and learned it after the dentist said that they were 'amalgam' and then shoved them into my teeth. This was on the NHS in england and so i would have to pay for anything else. Anyway these fillings at first worried me because they were not a silvery color and were more of a grey/blackish color .. which i was assured was fine but now i am having metallic tastes in my mouth and am incredibly worried about mecury toxicity or the fillings leaking. I understand after quite a bit of research that the ammount they release is nothing to worry about from the vapour they emit but i am abjectly terrified that they might be leaking and that i am swallowing mercury. Can anyone help me out i am at a loss since the dental receptionist dismisses me and reddit has not been helpful. 

Thank you 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I can assure you that they are OK, I still have a few, just been gradually replacing with white filling as more cosmetic that anything else.

You can always ask for white fillings, they arent cheap though and NHS wont cover them.

But try to relax all is OK  You will be fine

get in touch anytime. Good luck and best wishes

• Posted

thank you so much smile that is very kind of you. The metallic taste has been very bad today but my dentist keeps telling me it will sort itself out. I have quite a few because i was a bit of an idiot in college and did not care for my teeth well but i suppose that is better than losing teeth entirerly. 

Thanks again

• Posted

I don't know, maybe try contacting the dentist? If the receptionist feels annoyed then he/she is doing his/her job xD There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.