Awful pain, fullness, pain above pubic bone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Finding all your posts may be what I have, IC. Its been 6 weeks of vaginal/anus pain, urgency and having trouble voiding, fullness and negative UTI and CT scan. Im terrified and going to uro/gyno on Wed. The throbbing in my lower parts is bad. I feel the fullness in my bladder and shortly thereafter my bladder spasms and I try to go again. Sometimes its only a small amount and other times its a lot of urine. Ive been taking painkillers which make it better until the meds wear off and it starts all over again. Today I also got very nauseous. Can anyone help me? Does IC come and go like this? My gyno said no infection but blood in my urine. I am scared!!!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Queen Victoria it is quite possible that its ic. I was diagnosed last year, and before that I was scared to death. My journey began just like you but at night. I felt like I had to void but only a small amount would come out. This would go on for hours. Then the pain started ,like you in my lower pelvic area. My suggestion would be to watch what you eat and drink until your appt. You can get a list of items that you should stay away from and things you can have. It's TRUE that ic doesn't go away. But you can control the flares with the right food and sometimes medication. If you do have it , it's not fun but can be controlled by the right foods and drinks. There is alot you have to do but it's worth it. There is only one drug in the USA that is available it's called Elmiron, but I dont know where your from and they might have something else . First you need the diagnosis and then go from there. Stay away from anything that has citrus in it, and drink alot of water. Good luck and let us know how your doing.

• Posted

I really MUST thank you for your insight and support right now. Being a newbie, and struggling for 6 weeks, has been awful. Yesterday I drank and OJ and coffee~ I didn't know better. I Iive in NY, so hopefully there will be meds to help me get through this. How often do flares occur? This being the first and probably the worst has got me really upset. I spoke to my husband about this and it does seem so ridiculous when you try to explain it. Its NO joke! Its the throbbing and pain and inability to void thats got me so agitated. Many this episode is a one off, never to reoccur again?

• Posted

Hi, yes I’m afraid that all sounds horribly familiar! Betmiga is a drug which can help calm the bladder and help with the spasms which I sympathise with as they’re awful! The best thing I did was follow the IC diet - certainly AVOID caffeine and citrus and cranberry juice and also carbonated drinks and artificial sweeteners.  I hope you get some answers from the urogynaecologist - a good one is worth their weight in gold with this condition.  You will have times of remission and times like now, but there is hope and lots of things to try.  At one stage the pain I had (which sounds just like yours) was so bad I wanted to die (no joke) but it did end - one day I was in hospital in agony and a week later I was walking on the beach feeling a lot better.  It’s jist not knowing when a flare is coming that makes life so difficult.  Stress is a major factor too but if anyone knows how to avoid that please let me know! I wish you well soon. 
    • Posted

Are there any warning signs that a flare is coming, or does it just strike randomly? Thank you so much for replying. I am so new to all this, and terrified. Obviously Im really under stress about this. Im tracking my urinating and pain for the uro/gyno tomo. My mom has urinary incontinence, Im wondering if my situation is somehow connected? Again THANK YOU for being a source of comfort and understanding for me. 
    • Posted

Hi, this reply is a bit late as there appeared to be a problem with this site but it’s working again now. I really hope you get on ok at your appointment today.  I don’t think your mum’s condition bears any relation to yours.  As for flares, mine appear to be fairly random.  I can be fine one minute, go for a pee and come out thinking uh oh - it’s started again!  However they may not be random if I kept a diary - bit too lazy to do that to be honest! I do know that if, for example, I was to drink a glass of orange juice I’d certainly know about it later! My urologist said I’d know within a few hours (not days) if something I’d eaten or drunk had upset my bladder.  I’m fine with McDonald’s incidentally! But I don’t drink fizzy drinks - mainly because of the sweeteners.  I do a lot of research on IC and I’m coming around to the conclusion that apart from the things known to cause flares, like citrus, caffeine, chocolate (I’m ok with that too!) Sugar is a big offender so I’m trying to cut it out of my diet altogether which is easier said than done but I already feel there I have more energy.  I’m having PTNS for my bladder - maybe you could ask your urogynaecologist about that - I’m in the UK so not sure what treatments are available where you are.  Try not to get too stressed and worried as that won’t help either - hard I know! But once you’ve a diagnosis and a sympathetic health care provider you can move forward with your own research, help from other sufferers etc. And become your own expert.  Wishing you well. 
    • Posted

Hi I did go to the uro/gyn today and yes I have IC. I also need to go on vaginal estrogen due to aging and symptoms. I am feeling a bit better since I wrote this initial post. The bladder IS in spasm. Im taking new meds and hopefully I will feel better soon. Thank you kindly for responding to me. Much appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi, I’m thrilled that your  urogynaecologist has prescribed you estrogen!  It’s a rare doctor that understands the connection between bladder probs and low estrogen.   I’m sorry I didn’t mention that before (brain fog!) The bottom bit of the bladder is made up of the same tissue that lines the woman and so both are estrogen dependent.  I also use it in the form of vagifem pessaries and it does make a difference - especially when I first started using them.  I’m hoping it will ease the spasms for you.  I still have IC and horrible flares but not as bad as before I took the estrogen.  I needed it systemically as well as I had a very early menopause and had hardly any estrogen left!  It’s been a life saver for me.  I’m so glad you found such a clued up doctor - sorry I didn’t mention this before!! So long ago I’d forgotten all about it! Hope you find some relief of at least some of your symptoms soon - it may take a while to kick in but keep going! 
  • Posted

I meant lines the womb, not the woman!
    • Posted

I wasn't thrilled to hear estrogen, but he says I won't get cancer. As a newbie this IC is ALOT to manage-LOL. I do wonder how this all started 6 weeks ago out of the blue. Not fun and my husband has surgery tomo for a total hip replacement. They advise to stay calm, no stress. This is obviously impossible.

• Posted

Hi, don’t worry - he’s right.  With vaginal estrogen very, very little is absorbed into your system - it’s just effective locally.  Your risk of uterine cancer is no higher than it always was.  Even with systemic HRT, the risks were overstated due to flawed trials.  There is a slightly increased risk with oral estrogen but I have no choice - I’d be bedridden with pain if I stopped taking it.  If the vaginal estrogen is enough for you, then you are on a winner! Sorry to hear about your husbands op - I hope it goes well but understand how you ar under a lot of stress.  I think your IC didn’t come out of the blue but had been slowly coming on.  If I look back I realise I’ve had bladder issues most of my life - little things like having to sit on the end of the road in theatres in case I needed to ‘go’ etc.  If you think back carefully you might notice some ‘signs’ that you dismissed at the time.  In any event, a lot of illness come on fairly rapidly - it is a lot to get your head around but I would concentrate on getting your diet adjusted first and see if that helps.  There is anecdotal evidence that a gluten free diet is helpful but there is no scientific evidence for that.  Also I’ve been told by my Gynae to try a low Oxalate diet - that’s extremely challenging to do, but it’s something to try at some point. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water - i know it’s the last thing you probably feel like doing  but it’s a good idea to dilute the urine as much as possible to cause less pain and flush out any bugs that might be there.  If you can’t face water, lemon barley is good.  My urologist said ‘think of rubbing  whatever you’re thinking of eating into a raw open wound - if the idea makes you wince, then don’t eat it!’ You can take ‘pre relief’ tablets to help reduce any acid content.  They’re very good to carry round with you in case people drag you into diners! 

• Posted

Hi - I feel for you, as I too have also been suffering with similar symptoms for eight weeks and  it's driving me crazy.  My symptoms too started out of the blue (strangely after a severe cold) at first I wasn't overly bothered as I thought I had a UTI but a course of antibiotics did zero to resolve this and the symptoms of frequency continued but no trouble passing urine and no burning, just frequency and pain in the urethra.  I am now seeing a urologist who suspects IC but said my bladder looks clear.   He said wth the right treatment it will get better and that many people with IC go into remission for lengthy periods.  I too have been prescribed Vagifem.   Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.