Awful Stomach Pain & Chronic Constipation -2 Months

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started having serious stomach and lower back pain as result of constipation caused by taking a new iron supplement.

After stopping the supplement, my symptoms did not improve. My doctor recommended taking benefiber and miralax every day which I have been doing. This has caused me to pass bowel movements but it has not relieved the constant stomach pains, lower back aching, and vomiting.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Is there any testing I should have done?

What can I do to stop the pain? I'm exhausted from dealing with it and its mentally draining.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you know what the cause of your iron deficiency is?

What is your diet like? Also, you can buy non constipating iron supplements from health food shops.

• Posted

My Iron Deficiency is caused by the excessive amount of blood I loose during my period - I am now on BC to stop my period and thus stop the iron loss.

My diet is primarily fruits & vegetables - though I stray from citrus because of GERD. I don't eat a lot of meat products, but when I do it is generally chicken. I stray from gluten products because they cause my stomach to hurt. I eat a lot of salt because I have significantly low blood sugar as well.

Thank you for your response!!

• Posted

when I was young I had significant issues with stomach aches which using an endoscopy they ruled as a gluten sensitivety. however I recently had blood work done to test for markers if a sensitivity / celiac which came back negative so I'm not quite sure what is going on.

• Posted

Did you have the test after you had cut out gluten? You need to have gluten before you have the test in order to be able to tell if you are intolerant.

• Posted

I had the test done before I completely cut out gluten. So it seems that it would be somewhat accurate?

• Posted

if you were still having gluten then it would be accurate

• Posted

Hi infjhiker

If you have low iron you prob have low b12 and folate, low levels can cause diahorrea, constipation, fatigue and tiredness plus other side effects. Start taking B12 and folate and vit d which will also have adverse effects on your gut if levels are low....image

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.