Awful tooth aches!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

...hi again It's Lynda. Does anyone else out there experience terrible toothpain, painful jaws, and gum pain? I went down on prednisone today from 9.5mg to 9mg. Now I'm experiencing the forementioned in a very big way! I have a couple of cavities (major dentist phobia, and I mean MAJOR!), but I'm doubtful that's the problem. Is this yet another "weird side effect" of pmr and shouldn't prednisone help with that? I'm tempted to take 2 more mg. but would appreciate some QUICK advise! Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

• Posted

My mum has GCA and this is one of the most prominent symptoms for her. Went to four dentists and they couldn’t figure out why she was in so much pain. The mystery was finally solved when she was diagnosed with Temporal Arteritis, so maybe yours is also a symptoms of that ?
  • Posted

These are major signs of GCA cause I have this horrible desease you should go check this out I too have a major hate for dentist but you got go ask for gas 
    • Posted

Alley Hi

I have a few signs that I may have GCA , but my GP, who is really well up to date, has sent me to a neurologist because of the head pains that I am feeling..

My GP said , that because I'm already taking Prednisone,  then MRI and other tests are not going to help in the diagnosis and to start taking large doses of prednisone without confirmation is a mistake in my case. ( I'm having a bad time on prednisone)

• Posted

Sounds to me that you definitely have dental problems. The pain can be anywhere in your mouth from one decaying tooth not near the pain area. 

Last week I had a back tooth extracted and two implants. I had pain not in the direct area of the extracted tooth. 

I was taking 18mg at the time. I'm now down to 17mg

Prednisone can cause shrinking gums, which can leave the roots slightly exposed, which can be very sensitive to hot and cold...

Painful jaws, well that can be associated with GCA, but as you are taking Prednisone there doesn't leave many options to diagnose.. 

I'll leave Eileen to give you further advice, as she definely is our expert.  

Feel better. 

Di 

• Posted

Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate this site sooo much! So many questions and not lots of answers...however, many more than I ever get from doc!! Please keep them coming!
    • Posted

Hi I too gad a real dental problem keep on top of it I let it go my head swelled up and had a serious infection in my lower bottom two teeth ended up in surgery to have them removed.  At first we thought it was the GCA and we put my dose up not a pleasant thing to go through.
  • Posted

Jaw pain and sensitive teeth I think are caused by the bone thinning effects of pred.  I assume you aren't on alendronic acid or its kin, because if you are those symptoms are much more serious.  I found my sensitive teeth cleared up after a few months of adding Vitamin K2 (100 mcg per day).  Returned when I cut the dose to 100 mcg, but have once again gone away after increasing the dosage again.  Vitamin K2 directs calcium into the bones and may have something to do with maintaining healthy enamel as well.  

Now, all that being said, the jaw pain, as the others said, could be a symptom of GCA and should be reported to your doctor asap.

• Posted

Sorry, taking 200 mcg per day to eliminate my sensitive teeth symptoms.
    • Posted

No - micrograms, not grams!  There are 1000 micrograms in a gram!
    • Posted

Oh Wfewww! Thanks 4 clearing that up! I thought, omgggg, that's an incredibly large dose. LOLOL...need 2 get more educated!

• Posted

Ha ha, no wonder you were shocked and appalled!  Just trust the dosage on the bottle.  Mine says 100 mcg per day, Australians are suggested to take 180 per day.  As 100 didn't seem enough for me, and I don't live in Australia to get the 189 mcg capsules I'm happy and feel safe taking 200.  

• Posted

You need to get your big girl pants on and get a dentist's opinion too! Sensitive teeth (to cold or hot) can be due to PMR or pred (I had it before pred so know it can sometimes be due to PMR), if you have gum disease then that can be painful and that needs treating or you could lose all your teeth.  Jaw pain that comes on while chewing or talking a lot that then fades when you stop can be a symptom of GCA. 

Sensitive teeth can be helped with toothpaste - find one that works for you. Sometimes rubbing it on the tooth will help more than just cleaning your teeth with it. Gum disease can be treated and there are several reasons for jaw pain - without knowing more details it is impossibe to say.

• Posted

Boy Eileen...you're on a roll tonight. It's not a matter of getting my "big girl pants" on! I have a TRUE fear of dentists due to 2 specific procedures I had done in years past. Couple that with horrible memories of having my tonsils removed as a child and a mask if ether put over my nose/mouth, and you've got the makings of a full blown phobia of someone working on my mouth! I've even had therapy for this to no avail! I'm not sure if it's the side effect of pmr/pred right now, but I'm very sad that I'm feeling the need 2 explain myself.

• Posted

No I do get the phobia bit - but you also DO need to have someone at least look at your gums. Sorry if you don't like my direct talking but that's the way I am.

• Posted

Come clean with the dentist and ask for some kind of sedation, relaxant, anti-anxiety pill, whatever, ahead of time to make you more uncaring about what's happening.  I'm sure you won't be the only adult they've met whose had this issue.  I was prescribed something, I now forget what but I think it was pretty heavy duty, maybe related to diazepam, to help with my not true phobia about flying - I was just so tired of having to concentrate to get the plane safely up off the ground, and then deal with terror during turbulence, never mind the stress of guiding the plane down to the ground (I'm a passenger, not the pilot!) and the little pills stopped that anxiety.  Now I find that a simple natural remedy works, called Rescue Me, but possibly I needed the serious medicine to break the pattern first.  

Btw I was told about the medicine by a friend of mine who has a true phobia about cats.  She was once out for an evening walk with her daughter, then about nine, when a cat appeared in front of them.  This responsible, caring, mother shoved her daughter in front of herself for protection!  Years later she found when on the drug she was totally unfazed by a cat casually being near her.  It's never something you'd take regularly but works for occasional use and in my case seems to have broken an unsettling progression from mild nervousness to near terror.  i have flown many times the last few years, only using my trusty Rescue Me.  (I only used the medication a few times, very small quantity prescription, renewed perhaps once.) 

• Posted

LOLOL...thank you SOOO much for your hysterical response to my woes!! I'm still laughing as I type this into my phone! Man, I really needed a good chuckle right now! I don't know if you've been reading reading my posts, but I recently got kinda "slammed" for my "phobia and my desire to want off of prednisone to quickly. I'm a very sensitive person anyway but seem to be even more so nowadays! Anyway, I really appreciated the "breather"! Wow...I too have a super fear of flying, tend 2 white knuckle it all through the flight. Now, after more than a decade, I'll be taking a flight next week (along with my service dog and portable oxygen). Ughhh...ANXIOUS!! Well again, thanks so much 4 your post. It's made my day!

• Posted

Hi folks...if anyone out there has followed my posts, you're familiar with the fact I'm flying on a 5 hr flight with a layover next week. It's been over a decade since I've flown and I literally white knuckled it the whole way (especially take off and landing). And THAT was when I didn't have any medical issues! I'm sooo looking forward to seeing my daughter and meeting my grandson for the very 1st time! However, I'm kinda in a "tailspin" right now...full of panic and anxiety. Also, I've got an upcoming dental appointment for which I've got a HUGE phobia! After discussing all this w/daughters and Bestie, I've made an appointment w/primary tomorrow to try to obtain valium. Only problem is, he's extremely conservative when it comes 2 prescribing medication. Anyone have any words of wisdom I can impart 2 convince him this would be more than appropriate to do at this time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Posted

Don't start out by asking for a specific medication.  There may be something else more appropriate for your anxiety attacks.  

• Posted

Like what?? I thought valium and xanax were the best bets for this, especially short term such as flying. I just want to be prepared!
    • Posted

I'm just suggesting the doctor will in all probability know best.  I wish I could remember the name of the drug I took.  It was very effective.  But I think it is usually used for major psychiatric conditions and when I learned how heavy duty it was I never took it again.  I guess valium is a brand name for diazepam, so it couldn't have been that, I'd have known.

My research of a few minutes just now turned up an article I'll private message.

• Posted

Thank you! And yes, diazepam is the generic for valium but it's not a heavy duty psychotic...just an anti-anxiety med. I'll be waiting for your message.

• Posted

After the fact I read up about the medication and was shocked at myself for taking it.  It may have helped the anxiety on the plane, but I don't think it did anything for my equilibrium while on holiday.  But I didn't know it might have more long lasting and far reaching effects.  Next time I see the friend who recommended it to me I must as her if she remembers what it was.

• Posted

How very interesting! My friend in the UK used to swear by it.
    • Posted

If it's the rescue remedy I use it is astonishingly helpful.  

• Posted

I recommended the rescue remedy. ( herbal)

But my post is  still waiting to be censored...

• Posted

my previous post has now been printed. 

Thanks admin. 👍

• Posted

It was the link which needed to be vetted by the moderator.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.