Axeler for high blood pressure + muscle pains in legs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a hip replacement 3 months ago and in the hospital they said I had high b.p. The doctor tried me on one drug that didn't lower the b.p. but gave me a cough. So then I started on Axeler (I live in France -- this contains Amlodopine and Olmesartan). A few days after I started taking it I got dreadful muscle pains in my thighs after rather a lot of walking. Thought at first I'd just overdone it, but then I started to think maybe it was a side-effect so stopped the medication. The pain retreated somewhat though did not disappear completely. After a couple of weeks I thought I'd try the pills again and the pains got worse again. I've now been off it again for about 5 days and am still having pains in my legs, though not as bad as when I take the drug. I've never had anything like this before, used to enjoy walking so much, now can hardly do any without pain. I'm feeling rather desperate and don't know if the drug could really have such a powerful and long-lasting effect. Anybody have any ideas about this?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If I were you, I would go back to the doctor and be tested for metal in the blood.  Some hip replacement manufacturers are being sued for eroding metal parts in hip replacements here in the USA.  Admittedly, some of us in the USA are sue-happy, but this could be your problem and can only get worse.
  • Posted

How can physicians all over the world prescribe this poison, amlodipine? Your first med was likely an ACE inhibitor (lisinopril, accupril, benazepril...all the "-prils"). They are notorious for producing what has been called the "ACE cough" which many (but not all) patients eventually experience. It's harmless but annoying.

Alexer contains an ARB (angiotension receptor blocker) which is like Cozaar (losartan, olmesartan) and has the fewest complaints from patients, but combined with amlodipine, in my "book", it becomes a poison. Amlodipine has been banned in the Netherlands because its negative side effects exceed its benefits. The Dutch aren't ignorant, as you know. There's a reason that they forbid that drug in their country. It's poison. It also has an extremely long half-life of 50 hoursl It takes a long time to get it out of your system. I can still feel its symptoms in my body days after I stopped it! Horrible stuff!

• Posted

Hi drharrietd..

Sorry to hear about your problems with this poison. I was put on Amlodopine 10mg. I had most of the symptoms you mentioned. My legs were numb, but not painful. It also caused chest & back pains. I was given GTN spray for angina. I had been taking this med for months, so I had to come of very slowly. As usual, the doctors said it was not related to the Amlodopine. However, as soon as I stopped taking the stuff, my symptoms started to abate. It took some time before I was back to normal. So hang in there. These med do not cure, they only cover up your condition. There are other natural way to control blood pressure without the side issues caused by SOME meds.. Thats what I've done and it works..

TC

• Posted

Thanks! Can you say anything more about natural ways of controlling blood pressure? I'd so much rather not be taking drugs!
  • Posted

Thanks for these helpful replies. Makes me feel better just knowing I'm not going crazy or imagining things. 

• Posted

If your doctor intends to help you rather than peddle drugs he or she will support you in your wish to control your blood pressure by natural means. I am most fortunate in having a doctor who avoid drugs whenever possible.Please consult your doctor before you alter the dose. High BP is usually visited upon people who have a poor life style. Drinking too much and smoking must be abandoned. The correct exercise plan should be put in place, taking into account your particular needs. prefferably by a professional personal trainer. If you are overweight then this must be addressed. Cut out salt. About seven years ago I became a veggie and lost two stones without really trying, and kept it off. My BP reduced from margially high to around 130 over 70 or even less.  Show these suggestions to your doctor. Do nothing and watch your health decline. Do not disregard the health benefits of common old walking and swimming. I wish you well.           Charlie     
  • Posted

Hi

it took me several weeks after stopping amlodipine for the pains in my legs and the severe muscle cramps in my muscles to stop. I still get leg muscle cramps occasionally I have never had anything like this before. If it hadn't been in both legs I would have thought I had a blood clot. I was only on it for two weeks. The leg pains were ex cultivatingex cultivating

• Posted

Another little tip. I suffered from insomnia for most of my adult life. I was addicted to Zopiclone and other sedatives for over forty years. A great help in giving them up and inproving my sleep was a little book called: "Mindfulness, Plain and Simple" by Oli Doyle. It is a form of meditation which is being taken most seriously by the NHS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.