Axial Spondyloarthropy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my rheumatologist suspect I have spondyloarthropy due to lower back pain and elevated esr levels. Sometimes i wake up with extreme pain that i cannot move - this happened on holiday and the pain woke me up. I get general aches and pain all over my body but I usually get lower back pain that sometimes shoots down my legs.

I'm in a lot of pain after massaging a muscle knot (found when massaging back for the pain) is there any suggestions for helping spondyloarthropy? Someone on another thread said it sounds like ankylosing spondylitis. 

I only had a few blood tests (for antibodies ANA DNA etc) and an ultrasound of my ankles/feet wrists/hands those came back normal except as said elevated ESR levels at 17. I had hip X-rays for hip clicks and pain which came back normal but muscle around it is weak and tight calves. I also have pes planus aka flat feet. My HLA-B27 is positive. I am 17.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not sure if this is relevent but also had an onset of a heart arrhythmia. 
  • Posted

You listed your ESR to be 17.  That would be in normal range.   The normal range is 0-22 mm/hr for men and 0-29 mm/hr for women.
    • Posted

Hello. Oh yes it is in normal range. My letter said it was slighted elevated. It's been like that for about a year and have no idea where it's coming from. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Have you had a CRP test done?  C-reactive protein in my opinion is a better indicator of inflammation.  In my case, ESR doesn't work because I have abnormal rbc morphology and because of that, my rbcs don't stack like coins which would cause the rbcs to fall fast if inflammation is present.  My CRP is sky high which indicates I have a lot of inflammation..

• Posted

I'm just going by my letter at the moment. It says negative antibodies in terms of rheumatoid factor. They also tested for ANA, DNA and ENA antibodies which I think have come back normal (I've had so many blood tests I've lost count which is normal/not normal) but if it wasn't normal they'd of told me, surely. Well, I'm going by the fact I have the HLA-B27 gene, family history and intense pain. It's really painful. Thanks for your response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.