Axis wrong on glasses? Or is tolerance too high?

Posted , 6 users are following.

No matter who tests my eyes, or where I get my glasses made, when I rotate the glasses about 15 degrees, I see better.  When I tilt my head

to the right, I see better with right eye at a distance.  What is this phenomenon called---where the eye tends to level itself slightly with the horizon?  I'm headed for the optomitrist next week but need the official term for the problem.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you tell this to the Optometrist? Or is it something you find out afterwards?

After my experiences with eye problems, the only person who can truly help you is an Ophthalmologist. You can explain anything & everything to an Optometrist & they can only prescribe you new eyewear.

Your eyes might be misalighted but you need to talk to an expert (Ophthalmologist) as you won't get a official term from this forum.

That''s just my opinion. Good luck.

• Posted

I've talked to Ophthalmologist and Optometrist and get no satisfaction.

I've even purchased round lenses so I could pop them out and slightly rotate them and see better indicating either the prescription or the lens cutting is wrong.  It makes me think the instraments are not accurate enough.  The "which is better #1 or #2?" is not the best way in my opinion.  I'd like to have my own phoropter so I could pin point my own prescription.  I see one on eBay for $400.   Hmmmmm.

• Posted

I actually don't think it's a good idea to self diagnosis - you will either get it wrong or make your  current situation worse.

Let me explaiin....look up strabismus or squint surgery or heavy eye syndrome - find a photo of an adult who has both eyes turned inwards or outwards or a combination of both.

That was me!!! I was experiencing double vision for 4 years & did my best to try to fix the problem. Like you, Optmetrists couldn't help me & I took myself to an Opthalmologist in October last year who also could not help me but kindly referred me to a Neuro-Ophthalmologist

Your problem could be neurological. Can you google a Neuro-Ophthalmologist in your area? Are you in Sydney as I an recommend mine?

I tried to self diagnose myself too for 4 years & compounded the problem & made it worse. I had to undergo surgery. It has only been 3 months & I can expect a few more months of recovery but my eyes are slow to improve, I am seeing gradual signs of recovery & can still see double vision at times but slowly goes away.

You should not rotate the lens, in my opinion. You should attempt to deal with the sight as it is & give your eyes time to adjust to the prescription that you have. Your eyes need to train themselves to move back into position & this could take a while.

Frustrating, i know - indeed I know 3 months on! I don't know what else to say to help you but a Neuro-Ophthalmologist could be a starting point.

Can I ask how old you are? Are you working?

I took 3 weeks off work during surgery & I don't regret the surgery or going to a Neuro Opthalmoloigist - she was a gods send.

• Posted

Dave I have suffered from the exact same thing. If I rotate my glasses counter clockwise as if you were looking at me approximately 15° my vision is always better. It's always frustrating trying to explain this to an and eye care professional. Like you I'm  curious if the instruments are not that accurate. When they do the axis flip one better or two better all they want to know is well there about the same well that technique is subject to error I believe. I've often thought about ordering round lenses and rotating them myself. I am now trying to figure out how to order lenses of my own prescription from the Zenni by adding the correct axis of rotation. I'm curious if you have had any luck I hope to hear from you soon thank you sincerely. Shad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.