Azathioprene

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, im currently taking Budesonide to treat chrons, my doctor wants to start me on Azathioprene in a couple of months, after reading the side effects im not too thrilled with the sound of this drug. Has anyone taken it?

Since i was diagnosed i have been fine, right now id say i have no chrons symptoms, i did doubt i have chrons since i was diagnosed so i am concerned about starting this drug.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi i have been on it for 3 months with no bad side effects, but everybody is different so i guess you won't know until you take it. good luck 😊

• Posted

hi i v been on them now for 12 months started on 50mg a day now on 150 a day all ok just have bloods done now every 3 months was every week at first hope this helps

• Posted

I would not advise you to take this drug

it has some many cons that the pros do not either register

work on your diet and try canabonoids along with natural medicines before taking this drug as mentioned in the previous comment you may not feel side effects but i did plus the long term health effects are borderline crazy

• Posted

hi Colin, I have just had bowel resection 3 week ago because of scarring....but previous to that i was on azathoprine for 18 months and i can honestly say the only side effect i had was the dizzy feeling about 20 minutes after taking them, so i took them just before bed and i was fine.

They sound scary but honestly give them a try!!!

When they say a side effect is more chance of getting a certain lynphoma was very scary for me, but they dont keep you on them for more than 5 years.

I do believe the pros are better than the cons!!!

I have had a good support team at my local hospital and they are very honest about all medications, give it a go and if you dont feel right then tell your support team and im sure they will change you.xx

Good luck and i hope you get some relief soon,

I am 3 weeks after bowel resection and currently in total remission!!!!

• Posted

Hi I was on it for about 18 months after my surgery, had no problems at all, it does compromise your immune system though and I was advised to keep out of the sun and be mindful if you come down with a cold, apart from that I had no side effects

• Posted

Hi, I was on Azathioprine for 4 and half years. My Consultant didn't want me on them any longer than 5 years. I had to have blood tests every three months, flu jab every year and pneumonia jab one only. Having said that, I did not have any bad reactions etc and they did their job. I think without them I would not be holding my own, which I have done now for the last 3 years and yes, I am touching wood l.o.l. Everyone is very different but I think looking at people that have responded there are more positives than negatives. All I would say is try them but keep being monitored. Good luck.

• Posted

I was on azathiprine too treat my Crohns when I first got diagnosed. I was on it for over a year an within that time I was very I'll a considerable amount of time. Be careful. Everyone is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.