Azathioprine

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI everyone, 

I have been battling with colitis sice the summer and it has been the worst. I have been on prednisolone since the diagnosis ( as everytime i have reduced the dose i have had a flate up again) soon after i have been put on Pentasa 2g a day. Then a couple of moths my doses have been increases to 4g and a mesalazine enema. (still taking prednisolone)

According to my doctor its now time to try Azathioprine. Has anyone taken this medication? Has it made things better? Have you had bad side effects? I have been given this booklet about it and it makes it sound really scary! 

Any replies will be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance! 

Millmillx 19 f 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi...am sure u will get other replies with recent updates on it. I tried it years ago and it was effective. I eventually stopped it as I got sore joints or legs....can't remember which and side effects put me off. However I Hav had uc 26 years and am having to hav ileostomy shortly as I have developed stricture. Hav u tried psyllium husk and seed. Have a read on net re them .good luck MJ
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your reply, I hope its effective with me because I am fed up. 

im really sorry that you have to go down the surgical route but hopefully tings will improve from that! 

I have never heard of psyllium husk and seed and will have a look! 

All the best! 

• Posted

Hi millmill I have just been put on it on Monday.will let you know how I go on.they gave me a book on it which I read about 4 times and got really scared about it.we just have to try things to see if they suit us if not we'll try something else .let us know how you go on .good luck xx
    • Posted

Yes me too! I really hope the book makes it sound worse that it actually is. Hopefully it works for us! Have you had a liver check before them prescribing the medication? Because in the book they said it will be neccesary but they didnt carry any out? 

Good lcuk to you too! Let me know how you get on aswell! smile

• Posted

Hi millmillx I have been put on azeothrine last Monday and I have been smashing since. Still on prednisalone 5g.so don't worry.i was very worried about but I am fine up to now.shiuld have been put on this months ago.babz x
  • Posted

Hi I've been suffering with uc for 3 years now and ive found im having more flare ups then being in remission...

Doctors keep advising me to go onto this drug u are talking about but i'm so scared after reading everything...

But I need to b well again...

• Posted

We'll go on it then milli .i was scared like you and I have been on it now over 3weeks I feel fine and flare ups have gone.you have to try it to know you can always come off it if it dosn't suit .good luck let me know how you go on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.