Azathioprine side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on azathioprine now for 3 months and I've started experiencing a few worrying symptoms. Although I use a factor 50 face sun screen every morning and it's currently dull winter days, every evening my face feels like I've got sunburn. My ears are also sore and have started to crack and split which is really unpleasant. I am also suffering with iching on the backs of my hands. So basically every part of me that is generally exposed. I only spend a maximum of an hour or so outside at the moment in this cold weather but I do drive and sit next to a window in my office.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I just feel as though I've become super sensitive to any kind of daylight. I'm now thinking of stopping this medication as I'll be in a terrible state when the summer comes.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a side affect or sensitivity or allergy, have you told your doctor?

Sheila

• Posted

Not yet, the symptoms have only increased just recently and I was hoping they would settle down. I didn't want to appear as though I was fussing about something and nothing. It's difficult to know what's the azathioprine or something unrelated. I don't have a rash with the itching.
  • Posted

I have recently been put on azathioprine and according to the drug information in the pack, it sounds to me as if you are having an allergic reaction.  Would advise you speak to your doctor or nurse as soon as possible.
    • Posted

Thanks Janet, I think I will have to do that. I was just trying to eliminate anything else that could possibly be causing this reaction. It always seems to affect me far worse when it's been sunny. I'm sure it's an increased sensitivity to sunlight.
    • Posted

I have today ordered a face moisturiser which has a SPF15 and UVA protection, along with a lipstick with UVA and a factor 30 sun screen for my other bits. But we do need some sun on us for the vitamin D. is the azathioprine controlling your symptoms?
    • Posted

Hello Louis. Meant to ask if you would like to keep in touch as we both have UC and are on azathioprine?
    • Posted

Hi Janet, yes I'd be happy to keep in touch with you. I'm just not sure how to send a private message to you for contact details!

I've bought myself a factor 50 face cream but apparently it needs to be reapplied every couple of hours! This could get expensive! I sat outside to have lunch today out of direct sunlight but it'll be interesting to see how my face feels at the end of the day. I take on board though your comment about needing some sunlight for vitamin d. Especially as that is one vitamin I became deficient in due to the illness/medication last year!

• Posted

Needs to be reapplied every couple of hours?  If you were to go swimming, then yes I would agree.  Just seems a bit on the extreme side to me.  I can't find a way of sending a private message either, sorry to say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.