azithromycin

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi just about to start this drug does anyone have any experiences.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My consultant put me on 250mg three days a week.

I tried this several times but unfortunately it didn't help me at all.

I have heard of people who have benefited greatly by taking this three times a week.

If you get the opportunity to give it a try it's worth it as it may work well for you.

Warmest regards

Tessa

• Posted

I too am on Azithromycin 3 times a week (but a 500 mg dose) - I don't see any benefit but my consultant tells me it is to reduce the inflamation of the airways which is a symptom of bronchiectasis (rather than to reduce infection). This may explain why it does not appear to have a noticeable effect).
  • Posted

Hi my 4 year old daughter has been put on azithromycin, she takes 200mls 3 times a week & her life has improved so much smile its the best thing the drs have ever done for her

She has bronchiectasis on her right middle lobe and last year had 30 (yes really) chest infections, she has been on the medicine for 4 months and has only had 1 hospital admission....its a MASSIVE improvement.

Id say give it a go but give it a chance it took a month to kick in

• Posted

Hi, I was also given Azithromycin 250, one tablet three times a week. It was given primarily to help reduce the risk of exacerbations while I was having chemo for breast cancer. I also had my lungs drained whilst under the anaesthetic for my cancer surgery. I have had no exacerbations now for 8 months, although I think sputum may be building up again now as I've begun to cough more often, whilst I didn't during the chemo treatment.
  • Posted

Have only just found this forum! I have been on Azithromycin 3 times a week now for 3 years. It has been excellent although I was reluctant at first. I was told I would need to take it for 3-5 years. I am now interested to know of anyone with experience of stopping it?
  • Posted

I have taken Azithromycin many times over a long period and was told it keeps the infections at bay but doesn't eradicate them completely, the only way to check if you don't have an infection is to have sputum tested regularly .
    • Posted

Thank you, that is really useful advice
  • Posted

I was on it for about 12 months and it did help a bit.  However, the side effects were so awful - agonising stomach cramps and diarrohea - that it was decided to take me off them.  I am prescribed them only when I get a chest infection now - and they still upset my stomach a bit but not so badly as when I was on them three times a week.

I am interested to note that not everybody seems to produce sputum every day.  I do and always have.  I clear it with physio daily but it doesn't take long to come back.  Is it not like that for all of you?

• Posted

When you take them do you take them on an empty stomach and leave an hour before eating? It makes a difference. 

I used to get sputum daily but not since taking it. Now only if I get a chest infection and then extra Azithromycin clears it.

• Posted

Yes I did do that. Unfortunately it made no difference - particularly to the stomach cramps which were very severe. 

I do take montelukast now which has helped a lot as does my seretide puffer but I am a sensitive little flower [joke! ] and am allergic or have problems with loads of antibiotics and other drugs.  It's a nuisancr but I keep pretty well.

Thanks for your concern. 

• Posted

Yes, but Dr  Wilson recd only for exacerbations as I manage mostly by environmental means (warm climate, wearing nasal plugs and  Curad Flu masks on planes and in crowds. It gave me "brown tongue" a kind of thrush that I'd never heard of before...was horrible. I start with doxycycline if I sense and infection, only then go to azithromyckn.  Prof Valerie Lund recommended two things for mucous: carbocycteine and neilmed sinus rinse, which can be purchased at Boots or in US at Target or CVs. I use it am and pm to clean out nasal area or when I feel I am coming down with something and it usually clears it up quickly. I also use homeopathic immune stimulants when feeling I am coming down with something. Using antibiotics upset my gut balance and I developed IBS so am avoiding where possible. 
  • Posted

Taking the drug after a meal helps and taking natural yogurt to balance the gut. Physio is the better way to keep the infections at bay, by leaving the sputum in the lungs over night will induce the bugs to multiply, I do posteral draining three times daily, have stopped taking budesonide inhaler as that made me more wheezy. Trying different things to suit your body, I,m a great believer in self help 
  • Posted

I've been on it three + months and have a lot of 

Gut discomfort. I tried taking with or without food

Have to stay on as consultant considers necessary.

Symptoms vary slow gut , fast gut! And a fair bit of 

Pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.