Azopt Side effects

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello Not really a new discussion as I asked this before but have not received any asnswers.  Has anyone on Azopt glaucoma drops had trouble with side effects and if so what and mostly what I would like to know is was it immediate or did it happen weeks/months later.  I am trying to decide if the tight chest and cough are caused by the azopt or is it just my normally mild asthma or rhinitis.  I do put the finger over the corner of the eye after instilling the the drop and only eye is at the moment being treated.  I had the same problem with xalatan but worse and was taken off it.  This has only happened weeks after starting the drug.  I wonder if it might be the preservative.  The doctor at the eye clinic did say I could try xalatan preservative free but I was not sure about eye colour changes and longer lashes with only one eye being treated so opted for Azopt after failed lased treatment. I was also told that I could have shunts put in but that like the laser they don't always work.  Have been been trying to hold on until my next appointment in 3 weeks.  By the way no real side effects with the eye just a little blurred after putting in the drops which is good as I have blepharitis as well. 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 83 years old with reasonable eye sight so far. i was diagnosed early glaucoma in both eyes and early AMD in Oct, 2015. For Glaucoma, I was first adised CO-Dorzal (Dorzolamide 2% +Timolol 0.5%), it reduced the eye pressure from 23 each eye to 12 each eye but it reduced my heart rate to 50; even 48 PM some times. Then I was prescribed Travatan once a day which kept the eye pressure 18/17. Then in addition to Travatan, Azopt was advised instead of Co-Dorzal.which kept my IOP 15 each eye after using it for 45 days. However, I felt unwell, unstable, giddiness and headache etc with Azopt, hence the Doc prescribed Alphagan which i stopped within 2 days as it reduced my Systolic BP to 105. Since last 2 weeks, I am using Travatan once a day and Betopic twice a day. I wonder if any one has experience of using Betopic? I may mention that I am also using a Canadian Health approved product Saffron 2020 for last abot 1.5 months. Although its manufacturers claim it a treatment for AMD and Cataract though some users do mention that it also has good impact on overall eye health also Let us hope it has a positive effect on IOP also.
  • Posted

After changing various Glaucoma eye drops since my Glaucoma was diagnosed in Oct, 2015, I have again started Azopt twice a day+Travatan once a day for the last nearly one month as the Betaxalol being used before did not work. I had used Azopt earlier also and had felt very unwell with its side effects. Surprizingly I am not feeling headache, too much unwellness now as I felt earlier. May be my body has got used to it. Earlier its IOP results were quite Ok 15/15 each eye. I will again have it checked after I have used it now for 5 to 6 weeks. Along with Travatan+Azopt, I was told by the Doc that I should also use Systane (an eye lubricant) thrice a day to reduce the side effects of other medicines. One Doc said I should use Systane 5 mins after using other drops and another Doc said 15 mins after other eye drops. Has any one else been also prescribed Systane/ any eye lubricant? If so, how much after or before other eye drops?
    • Posted

Hello 

When I was first prescribed xalatan which I had to come off because it made my asthma worse I was told to to use a lubricant drop before instilling the glaucoma drop.  This was mainly because I also suffer from Bepharitis and dry eyes so already had sensitive eyes. Glaucoma drops as you know can cause sore dry eyes so I would imagine the lubricant drops would help for most people.  I use celluvisc individual drops 3 to 4 times a day as part of the treatment for thr blepharitis.  I have been very lucky as Azopt does not seem to affect my eyes really.

The only time they have stinged a bit is when my blepharitis is in flare up which thankfully is not too often.  I would use your drops before the glaucoma  drops are put in and maybe at other times if you feel your eyes are dry.  Hope this helps let me know how it goes.  I meant to say the drops I use were prescribed by the hospital and are preservative free.  I was told that if Azopt caused too many problems then I could tyr xalatan preservative free but luckily Azopt has been ok.  I had laser treatment on the eye with glaucoma but it did not lower the pressure enough so I am glad the drops are not giving me too much trouble.  Do you also put your finger on the corner of the eye to stop the drop going into your system.  They say 30 seconds ie enough but I was advised 2-3 minutes which is what I do.  

• Posted

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am using Travatan for quite some time and never felt any problem with that. Travatan alone brought my IOP from 22 to 18 each eye.  To reduce it further, Travatan+Azopt was used by me earlier also for about 1.5 months. Though it lowered my IOP to 15 each eye but i felt very bad with Azopt hence had left it for about  3 weeks using Betaxalol instead which did not work. I am now using Azopt again for last one month but this time its side effects do not bother me. I hope it works for lowering IOP as it did earlier.

I do'nt think I have dry eyes but Dr advised using Systane to reduce side effects of other drops. I will also try it using before the Azopt as you suggested but again I should be getting it clarified from the Doc here as well.

I do put the fingers on the corners of my eyes immediately after Travatan as well as Azopt.

Some oine on this Forum informed that an injection is going to come in by end of this year thus eye drops will not be required then.

• Posted

I hope you continue to do well with the azopt and that it lowers the pressures enough.  That is interesting about the injection which is coming, not heard of that at all.  I have just moved from London to the North of England, so will soon have a new referral appointment and will certainly ask about the injection to replace eyedrops.
    • Posted

It got me thinking and I have just googled injection for glaucoma and I think that the person who told you this may have been referring to the small stents which are put into the eye via a hypodermic.  I was under Moorfield hospital until we moved and when my laser treatment did not lower the pressures enough I was offered the shunts to put off having to use eye drops because of the blepharitis but I declined because I had already gone through 2 cataract ops one of which had problems so was not in a hurry to have any more surgery.  I was told like laser treatment it might not work.  I am lucky and pleased that the drops have not caused the problems I thought they would.
    • Posted

Some one in this forum certainly mentioned  'injection' foir the Glaucoma and I replied him requesting that he may inform me when it happens. I will try to find that on this Forum and will send it to you if I do find it.

• Posted

I found Lester mentioned about the injection. reproduced below.

lester90053 iqbal 45667 • 11 days agoOne SLT laser treatment takes a few minutes in your opthalmologist's office if he has it. It will reduce your IOP below 15 but you will still need to use eye drops to maintain it.

Also by year's end a monthly injection will be available which will eliminate daily eye drops.

• Posted

Hello again  Yes it was SLT laser treatment which I had at Moorfields but it did not lower the pressure enough.  I was told it works for some people but not all and whilst some cannot come of drops for a few years some have to continue albeit they may reduce their dose.  I was told that putting the shunts in the eye was the next step but once again they don't always work.  I have found an article on line which you might like to look at the doctor mentioned is the one I was under for my first cataract surgery.  [b]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3113875/The-simple-jab-cure-glaucoma-Tiny-pliable-tube-injected-eye-allows-excess-fluid-drain-relieve-pressure[b].html

Best wishes Carol

• Posted

Oh thats soo serious problem you need to tace care of it.Get well soon
  • Posted

Hi. ive been on azopt, brimontal and travatan for about 2 years now. The only side effect i observe is that the floaters in my eyes are a lot more. Unfortunately, i dont know which out of those three might be the cause. Wish you success in everything you do. Bless.
  • Posted

Hello wonder if anyone could offer an opinion.  Having moved 200  miles away in June I of course had to be referred to a new opthalmology clinic.  My iops have been stable since having the laser treatment (which did not really lower the pressure enough) at between 20-22.  I have had one visit to the new clinic and my pressures were both 20.  Today I had a follow up appointment and they to my surprise were both 26.  Is there anything which could account for this the opthalmologist thought not.  It is true I have been stressed of late and the only other thing I can thing of is that I have come off my blood pressure tablet due to severe ankle swelling and am now taking bendroflurazide water tablet.  My bp readings are slighly higher than before but that may be because I have recently bought a new bp monitor so maybe the old one was give too low readings.  My gp was satisfied with the one done at the surgery but I may go back and show him the readings in a week or so.  The other thing is that I started taking a antihistamine and steroid nasal stray for ongoing rhinitis in the spring of this year.  I am already on asthma steroid inhalers and have had 2 posterior sub capsular cataracts removed which I believe can be caused by steroid use.  I know from previous steroid eye drops after surgeries that I am a steroid responder.  Does anyone have any ideas on this.  I go back in 6 weeks to have pressures checked again and if they are still high and field tests change I may have to change from Azopt to another medication which I would not look forward to as Azopt gives me very little in the way of side effects.  I suffer from belpharitis as well.  They seem to know why the pressures rise but not what actually causes it.  Thanks.
    • Posted

They impressed on me the fact that steroid inhalers stood a good chance of raising IOP, so I have never used them.    I improved my breathing by geting a nebuliser and putting Himalayan salt water in it.    As for IOP, mine had seldom gone down as low as 22.   For years it was between 26 and 28 and they did not even put me on drops for the first 7 years.   Went on them when it went up to 30.    No optic nerve damage and been on drops for 19 years now.    A year ago, pressure allegedly went up to 28 and 32.    I say allegedly because a new optemetrist had me heaving on the tonometer handles with all my strength while he took the pressure.   I was referred back to the hospital with some urgency where it was found to have gone down to 18 and 24.    When I mentioned the pulling on handles, the hopsital said that was probably the reason.     Six months later, it had gone down to 13 and 22.   The only thing that had changed was that I stopped drinking completely.   Before that, I had three glasses of white wine per evening with one day a week without any!

They have alwasy told me that the pressure doesn't really mean a great deal as long as the optic nerve is OK.    i.e. some folk have glaucoma with perfectly normal pressure, whilst others like me seem to be able to tolerate gigh pressure with no ill effects.   I have been told that in my case, the drops are just a precaution!

• Posted

Thank you for replying.  I think that my cataracts were possibly caused by the asthma inhalers.  I am of course at the age that you get old age cataracts but mine were the type that develop quickly.  Like you I was under the eye hospital for years with pressure anywhere from 23 to 29 but no damage to optic nerve.  It was only in 2011 some 12 years later after a local optician found my pressures to be 32 and 34 that I was back at the eye hospital having been discharged  around 6 years yearlier.  Of course when I was tested at the hospital they were around 25/26 if I remember rightly.  However there were some early changes in the left eye the right one being healthy.  I was prescribed Xalatan but I suffered side effects so it was decide just to monitor me and go ahead with the cataract surgeries.  This monitoring continued until 2015 when they decided that it was time to treat the left eye but they wanted to try laser as they knew I had trouble with eye drops.  Sadly the laser treatment only had a minimal effect if any so I started on Azopt in August 2015.  The pressures have been stable and the right eye still healthy.  Funnily enough I have just found my first discharge from the eye hospital in 2005 and my pressures then were 25 and 26 so I suppose you could say I have been lucky to go so long without treatment.  I am thinking I might go to my gp for a review on all medication although any time I have asked about taking a certain drug because the leaflet says warning about glaucoma both gp and hospital have said ok to take them.
    • Posted

Hello @libralady13.  I am new here and becoming adjusted to the format.

I have open angle glaucoma and have taken/been prescribed most of the glaucoma medications on the market, many of which i have had reactions to.  Azopt drops is one such drug that i reacted to.  I took my first drop in the evening and that night had some paranoid style nightmares.  I believe these drops are the cause for several reasons.  Firstly, i am aware of what kinds of dreams that i have  and this dream was definitely not "my" dream.  I did not take the drops for a few days and did not have any more nightmares.  Then i took another drop and that night had a nightmare similar to the first one.  I did not take a drop the next night and if i dreamed that night, the dream was not out of the ordinary.  So, the reaction was immediate after one drop in my case.  I stopped taking the Azopt and requested a different medication from the

doctor.

• Posted

I am ussing Travatan once in the evening and Azopt twice a day. I do not feel any such problem. So far my IOP did not increase 20 each eye though at times it come down to 15 each eye. Glaucoma eye drops do have serious side effects in varying degrees and effects for different individuals. It may not be suiting you but it is too early to say that. You may like to try it early in the evening. Anyway consult the Doc also if problem persists.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.