b 12 supplement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with pa and am trying to find out if it is safe to take b12 supplements along with injections. I have had 6 injections in a fortnight which finished last Monday and will not get another injection for 11 weeks. Can anyone advise of their own experiences with taking both?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona, if you have PA as opposed to other kinds of B12 deficiency you will probably be unable to absorb B12 supplements except by injection. Try to build a rapport with just one doctor in your practice and put in a plea for more frequent injections. It can take time but it is worth the effort to receive them as they are needed. That sounds obvious but it is not always obvious to medics who have learned that 3 monthly injections are all that is needed. The Pernicious Anaemia Society will support you if you need further information to persuade your doctor. Keep trying. It can be done.
    • Posted

Thanks Marie I will make an appointment to talk to another Dr within the practice.
  • Posted

Hi I am not doing well on my dosage 1x 12 weekly I complained and dared to ask for more and was well told off by my gp I believe they have  halved. My dose as it went in in a second and there wasn'ti. Much in the syringe. what can I do they won't let me pay privately for some either 
    • Posted

Hi June, I would definitely change doctors, your current one doesn't appear to understand anything about drug delivery following injection. Given that possibly 90% of your dose will leave your body in the first 24 hours, how do they expect you be covered for 12 weeks. Also, injections for PA do not really restock the body or your brain. Thus, it takes 5 years to become deficient if you stop taking B12 in your diet. Contrast this to injections where you become deficient again in 8-12 weeks. Clearly you haven't restocked your body. The big worry is that if you don't restock your body, how are you expected to restock your brain. This is why I prefer the transdermal b2oils where I can apply an even dose every day. It stops the massive ups and downs that I used to experience with injections. You know it makes sense. The other thing is that 30% of people can't convert cyanocobalamin, the provitamin form of B12, that it generally injected, to adenosyl and methylB12, the two active forms of B12 in the body.
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice I do not know what b2oils are and where can I get some or patches thanks
    • Posted

Hi June, the web administrator does not allow for web-sites to be listed on the blog, so I will put the address in your in-house letter-box. You rub the oils on your skin. The oil quickly moves into the skin and the B12 is slowly released in to the circulation. It gives a much better, more even release of B12. 
    • Posted

Hi not sure how to get this info from you oils sound great , I didn't know I had an in box?
  • Posted

Hi Fiona when I was diagnosed with PA 12 years ago I spent ages researching online and found that sublingual b12 tablets can be absorbed by people with PA they are placed under the tongue and go straight into the bloodstream .  I have b12 injections every four weeks and top up with these if I start feeling low before my injection. They are methlcobalamin and you can get them from source naturals online look them up.
    • Posted

Thanks lazy, I was worried I might take too much.
    • Posted

Sorry meant to say "kazy" auto corrected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.