B12

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been having b12 injections for 3 years now for panisous anemia i have them every 90 days, but recently I've been feeling exhausted well before the injection is due,the last injection however has not helped at all iam constantly tired and frozen all the time. Wondering if anyone can help me with a bit of advice.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, have you asked your doctor if you can have your injections more frequently? If you do ask him, he may well offer an early blood test to see what your levels are. Are you also taking a multivitamin tablet, to boost the levels of the other vitamins, these can be low too, and we need some of them to make sure we can use the B12 being injected. It might be worth asking if your doctor would check your thyroid function too? There are also other ways to boost your B12 levels, with sublingual sprays, nasal sprays etc.. Please try speaking to your doctor first though, he should know how bad you are feeling. Marion
    • Posted

Hi marion, thanks for your reply, i take folic acid tablets and a multi vitamin, the last time I had a blood test my b12 was really low and my cholesterol very high,my doctor told me to cut down on the alcohol, which I don't drink to excess,i don't think he seems all that clued up with this condition so I don't think he will increase my injection, but I cannot carry on like this just so tired all the time.
  • Posted

I had the same problem although the Practice Nurse who gives me the injections agreed that I need them more often, the doctor disagreed and said that all sorts of nasty things would happen if I had them more often.  The Practice Nurse and I had a long chat about this and we agreed between us that I would have the injections every 10 weeks instead of every 12 weeks.  Although I still get very tired I have found that this is an improvement.  (I don't think the doctor knows about this yet but I'm sure she'll have something to say about it when she does!)

• Posted

My practice nurse has gone on maternity leave, so I will be given my injection by the gp thanks anyway

Just seen to be hitting my head against a wall with the dr

• Posted

Dear Karen, join the club! We all feel like we're banging our heads against a brick wall! Unfortunately there are very few Doctors who have much of an understanding about this condition. Have you read the book by Martyn Hooper "Pernicious Anaemia The Forgotten Disease"? He explains about many reasons why we might be low in B12, also why the tests are not ideal in identifying the levels in our systems. If you can get a referral to a haematologist, or someone who understand the reasons why you are low, a gastroenterologist will be able to look at your ability to absorb B12 in your digestive system. I do wish you well, and hope you can get some more help. I am having the same issues with my GP, and have nagged to get another blood test. Not sure it will help, but we have to keep trying everything we can. Marion
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice got appointment with Dr today, hopefully to get sorted out, cannot carry on like this not sleeping because of pins and needles and cramps in legs, doesn't help that am going through menopause too my hormones are all over the place. Thanks once again.
    • Posted

Hi Karen, hope everything goes well for you with the doctor? Do write back and report how you get on. Really wishing you well and hope you get some more help. Marion x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.