B12

Posted , 3 users are following.

For a few years now. Hubby has been lethargic, always yawning. Chest infections after infection treat with antibiotics. Which then gave him a rash all over his torso, approximately a week after cessation of tablets. Finally he got an asthma type symptom. Given a ventolin inhaler. Which then became a serious infection and wheeze. One thing that I as his Mrs noticed was his BREATH. For nearly 2 years he was the Listerine advert! No amount of cleaning and brushing helped! Anyway after tests and x-ray he is now diagnosed as B12 deficient. Since taking his tablets for 3 weeks. He is like a new man. 3x50mg per day no yawns, no bad breath,or wheezing. Now back running and swimming. Are these typical symptoms (breath and yawns?) It was a shock to is both, as he is a very fit man.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am lacking in vitamin D. I am going to go back to GP about this dose
  • Posted

What your husband experienced is known to those of us with Pernicious Anaemia as "the big sigh" and is one of the many symptoms of a Vitamin B12 deficiency,

That is not saying that your husband has P.A. just one of the symptoms of a cobamalin deficiency which fortunately was remedied by the tablets.

If the symptoms return after the course of tablets is finished your husband should ask his doctor to investigate its cause, whether it be due to diet, medications, stomach problems or other diseases etc.

I am not a medically trained person but have had P.A. for more than 45 years and I'm still "clivealive" and over 75.

• Posted

thank you all so much for the heads up, just came as a bit of a shock, did read somewhere that the use of antacids also cause a problem? he did use them for a while, especialy if he had a couple of beers for a couple of nights on the run. He isnt into drinking so I guess could all be a part of the package. Thank you for taking theh time to answer me. 
  • Posted

The only natural way we source Vitamin B12 is by eating animal products such as meats, fish, eggs, seafoods, poultry and dairy produce and we need to have high level of acid in our stomachs in order to absorb it.  We normally have several years "store" of B12 in our liver and this is regularly topped up if our daily diet includes those foods.

Taking antacids lowers the acid level and the B12 doesn't get absorbed and the liver doesn't get "topped up" and eventually we become B12 deficient.

This is just one of the reasons for a deficiency to occur, there are others too numerous to mention now.

It is also important that your (and your husband's) daily diet includes Folate (Vitamin B9 - or folic acid) as this and B12 helps you iron to function properly in the body and make red blood cells.  Folate is sourced naturally from eating leafy green vegetables, sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, beans, peas etc although folic acid can also be found in many breakfast cereals.

The two combined vitamins give credence to the old fashioned and traditional "meat and two veg" dinners.

I wish you both well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.