B12

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a b12 deficiency. I am 18, my level was just 48. I have received all off my loading dose injections, a week later I still feel very ill. I was tested for celiac disease and instrinic factor both came back negative. After my 2nd injection my b12 level came back at 2000. Really worried as to why I am feeling no improvements 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You will need to have your folate and ferritin levels tested too, as there is a complex interaction between these in order for B12 to be absorbed. You can have loads of B12 floating around in your blood, but it may not be reaching the cells where it is needed.

It is also a good idea to have your VitD levels tested too, as if this is low it can cause many symptoms similar to low B12. The other thing I would say is, that when supplementation begins, symptoms may initially worsen. This is due to the B12 suddenly reaching areas that were starved, and the healing process begins.

Best wishes

Marion

• Posted

Everything else in my blood came back fine apart from b12 so hoping it’s just a matter of waiting.  thankyou smile 
  • Posted

I think we have met before elsewhere Elleee.

I hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.