B12

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have had low b12 for good view months i have notice the last week at night i get pains in stomach and keep need go to the toilet and before i go sleep end have to eat even tho i am not hungry anyone any ideas what could be

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Are you being treated for your "low B12"?

We need our stomach acid level to be high in order the process the Vitamin B12 in our food.

It may be that your acid level is low and you are not digesting you food properly - hence you stomach aches and frequent needs to go to the toilet. It may be you have IBS.

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications, or infections such as h-pylori that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), Pancreatic insufficiency, or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Can you see yourself among any of the above "people"? If so you really need to see your doctor.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (one of many causes of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years.

I wish you well.

• Posted

i am on for over 7 adhd meds i am due to go to doctors in decmeber ill see what they say i havent been able to b12 tablets cause i took bad turn on them

• Posted

im addicted to coke cola i have to get of it but never been able to i know its part of it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.