B12 and ibs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a low b12, not sure on levels, I have had 4 loading doses number 5 tomorrow, not really feeling any better as yet, had a rotten headache, feeling bit quesy, and it's making my ibs play up something chronic, anybody else had problems with ibs? I keep being told it may clear up after injections but am not sure on that

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Had my last dose two weeks ago this week, just starting to feel a little better. My hands were bad, but easing up. My very bad dizzy spells including passing out in a shop also easing up. But after the jabs became more cranky, and uptight. Putting that down to the sudden influx of the drug.

My body adapting to it.

Just give it time not always an instant quick fix.

• Posted

I know, the side effects are not nice through but hoping after I will feel better and the benefits, more so after going through this. Glad your starting to feel better now
  • Posted

Hi, Zarah - I have both, as well. I'm one week ahead of you in treatments and noticed week six is best yet...hang in there! 

But, unless your IBS is caused by B12 deficiency (?), it won't clear up if your body returns to "normal" levels. I'm noticing it more now but I've also changed my diet at the same time, and I'm going for endoscopy/biopsy to rule out Coeliac and get a better look. So, perhaps you've altered what you eat or maybe it's just the body going through changes before it regulates itself?  Some on here have acne flare-ups when built-up toxins are realeased as the B12 does it's job...this may be how your body is clearing out...?

I, too, have had more headaches - I usually take one aleve and that's the end (naproxin sodium), but had times during injections that it was worse.  That's better now, too...Everyone's different but you may see improvements in the next week or two. Otherwise, check back with your Dr. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi aveline,

Not sure if the b12 is caused by ibs I guess so as I don't absorb food well, I am hoping that is the cause and my body goes back to normal, I have had 4 injections over a week and 2 more to go, so hopefully get there soon! Hoping once the injections are over my body will slowly return to normal 😀

Hoping

• Posted

Yes, slowly is the key word...  I don't think low b12 causes IBS, but I'm not a doctor. If anything, the less IBS symptoms, the better your absorption could be. But, that's why we get injections, to bypass the digestive system, right? Since my general practitioner and now my GI doc both suspect that I could have Celiac, my symptoms wouldn't all improve with even perfect b12 levels if that's the case.  Same could be true for you or anyone - if there's another underlying problem, B12 alone won't fix it.

So, be patient, but also don't wait too long before going back to the drawing board...does that make sense?? smile

• Posted

Very much so! No I have the last injection next week and after that if no improvement I will be going back to see if there is another underline cause, the lack of absorption from food through is causing the b12 and I was tested for celiac disease before and come back negative, so I will see how it goes - thanks for advice for something that's meant to make you feel better takes a long time lol! xx
    • Posted

yes, and wreaks havoc along the way, hahaha!  GL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.