B12 and pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can B12 deficiency cause muscle pain and fatigue that comes and goes? It's always their but from time to time it gets more painful. It's like a dull very painful ache. I have just started supplementing this week with 1000mg of methylcobalim in sublingual form which I take 3 or 4 times a day. Also experiencing brain fog and reduced concentration which again comes and goes. Is this common with B12 defeciency?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is all common.

I wouldn't recommend taking these supplements until you've had your b12 checked by blood test or it may look like your b12 is normal level and if you had pernicious anaemia it could be overlooked.

• Posted

That's the thing though I really am struggling to get them checked, been the doctors that many times that they don't take me seriously anymore. I have had lots of blood work done but not B12 defeciency and when I asked last they said it won't be that even though I questioned them on it. I just figured I would take matters into my own hands and start supplementing. Is their somewhere that does private tests? I know vitamin D tests are out their for around 30 pound so hopefully B12 are too?

• Posted

It would be a good idea for you to try and identify why you may be Vitamin B12 deficient.

What is your diet like? Do you eat meat, fish, sesafoods, eggs poultry and dairy produce?

How old are you?

Have you had gastric surgery?  

Have you had dental treatment involving nitrous oxide?

Do you take antacids or Proton Pump Inhibitors?

What other medications are you taking?

Have you had your Vitamin D level tested?

Are you iron deficient?

Do you know what your Folate level is?

The above list could go on and on but it would be a start if you can answer those above to be going on with.

As Plainjayne says some of your symptoms do match those of a possible B12 Deficiency but they could also be caused by a Vitamin D or Folate deficiency and again as she says any blood tests taken now will be "skewed" by the supplements you are taking.

Tests are better done by your own doctor for then you can be treated under the NHS.

I am not a medically trained person but I have had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for 45 years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.