B12 at 126 - doctor recommended capsules, but am wanting to go ahead with shots

Posted , 6 users are following.

I recently had my blood work done to find out my B12 levels were VERY low at 126 mcg. My doctor recommended capsules, however want to just go ahead with shots. What is everyones experience with this?

This past weekend, it hit me like a ton of bricks - very dizzy, close to fainting many times, a loss of appetite to name a few. I am pushing to get everything back to normal so i can start to feel normal again!

On top of this, are there any other vitamins that others take to help absorption.

Thank you all in advance!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

5mg of folic acid and 210mg of ferrous fumarate is what the Dr put me on the iron helps absorb the B12.

If you join the fb group there is lots of info in the files and plenty of people can help you with stuff you can't find

• Posted

When you have pernicious anemia your body doesn’t produce the intrinsic factor which is necessary to absorb B12 through the stomach. I was diagnosed in 2010 and have had to do intramuscular injections of 2000 mcgs every other week. The anemia has also caused other gastric issues as well. If you try to take a supplement you won’t be able to absorb it. It’s exhausting. 
  • Posted

Initially, replacing B12 will lead to a huge increase in the production of blood cells and platelets (which occurs in the bone marrow) and can lead to rapid depletion of folate and iron stores; this can then limit the expected recovery of Haemoglobin.

Both iron and folate may be needed so please have these levels checked by your doctor.

It is not uncommon for some symptoms to appear to get worse before they get better as the B12 you are having starts repairing the damage done to your nervous system and your brain starts getting multiple messages from part of the body it had "forgotten about" or lost contact with.

I sometimes liken it to a badly tuned radio on which you have turned the volume up high trying to catch the programme you want when all of a sudden the signal comes in loud and clear and the blast nearly deafens you.

A lot will depend on the severity and longevity of your B12 deficiency as to how long before there is no further improvement or recovery.

Some symptoms will "disappear" quite quickly whereas others may take months or even years. There is no set timescale as we are all different.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years.

I wish you well.  

• Posted

I just started on 1,500 mg b12 sublingual capsules which go under your tounge. He said they get into your blood steam quicker then if you were to swallow them. I have been on them for about a week now as my b12 was extremely low to. I have seen such a difference in my energy levels my doctor said he would retest my b12 levels in a couple months and if they are where they need to be we won't have to start the injections. Sorry I don't have more advice as I'm going through the same thing right now just thought maybe helping conmapre might help you not feel so alone in this as I know it can be very frustrating and exhausting! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.