B12 blood Results

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all, I'm new on this forum,I would just like to know if anyone can interpret my blood test. This is how it reads " Serum vitamin B12" 485 pg/ml ( 187- 883.)                                                                                                                   " Note".                                                                                                               Will be filed as: 4.... 00 Laboratory Procedures.                                                     B12 intermediate range 187-300 pg/ ml.                                                           If results fall into the indeterminate range suggest use clinical judgement and. FBC parameters to acces if deficient and repeat if necessary.                            B12 Deficiient < 187 pg /ml            i hope somone can understand that and explain to me if it's alright .  thank you    187="" pg="" l=""  =""  =""  =""  =""  =""  i="" hope="" somone="" can="" understand="" that="" and="" explain="" to="" me="" if="" it's="" alright="" .=""  thank="" you="">

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm not an expert. My first question would be do u have any of the symptoms of B12 deficiencies?

Your level would be accepted as in the normal range. If you have symptoms though, different game.

• Posted

Hi Norma, when I got diagnosed my level was only 176. I think most doctors would think anything over 400 is OK, but, as Blue dragon says we need treatment if we have symptoms. The full list of symptoms can be found on the Pernicious Anaemia Society website. Generally we have pins and needles, numbness, confusion with mental tasks, memory etc... Joint and muscle pain. We can feel colder than other people. Some of thses symptoms can be similar to other conditions, which only adds to the difficulty in getting treatment. Good luck with getting help from your GP. It might be worth printing out the symptoms checklist from the Pernicious Anaemia Society, then you can mark up any that apply to you, and take this to your GP? Marion
  • Posted

Your normal local lab range is 187-883.

Levels of 187-300 are low normal and symptoms of deficiency should be assessed along with full blood count. A level less than 187 is deficient.

• Posted

So are you telling me that's deficient Heather, or that it's just alright?
    • Posted

Also I'm sorry if I sound stupid Heather,but I have that many health problems that I somtimes feel some are connected,it's like if I could just join the dots up I could feel a little better.  And thank you for your patience.
    • Posted

If you have not been taking any form of b vitamin then your b12 is ok. Often after being diagnosed with one autoimmune disease it is common to have more. Eg. I have thyroid disease, IGA nephropathy, psoriasis, pernicious anaemia and endometriosis which is linked to autoimmune.
  • Posted

Hi again Norma, so sorry to hear about you having many health problems. Lots of us have several issues as well as low B12. Very often other vitamins are low, especially if there are digestive problems. In my own case I have under active thyroid too, asthma, and possibly fibromyalgia. Over the past two years I've been hit by one diagnosis after another, and it leaves you reeling. It is possible to have a reasonable level of B12 in your blood, but your body may not be able to use it. Definitely look at the Pernicious Anaemia website, and re-visit your GP. Marion 
  • Posted

Hi Norma,

Have a look at this web site, that may help. http://www.b12deficiency.info/b12-treatment/

My lab range was from 210 - I was at 198.

Dr had told me I was fine, I pushed for injections. What I was seeking answers to mainly was a cough and breathlessness. When saw list, I could tick fatigue, low mood, brain fog, loss of words in middle of sentences. I'm vit D insufficient too.

There is a test Active B12/Holo TC that I had done in London at St Thomas's hospital. This is more accurate about your levels. Also MMA and homocysteine.

Look at symptoms first and see if fits.

• Posted

Hi Blue dragon, thank you for the web site,I've spent most the day reading it. For the last two months I've been taking 400mg of folic acid,due to me pushing for a full blood test. Today as I'm running out of them my husband called in the GP to see if I had to have any more due to them not being on repeat prescription.He was told to ring back in case I had to have a blood test. He's just rang and been told they are going on repeat as I need them for life.  Now after reading your web site they seem to go hand in hand with vitamin B12.  Because I have other health problems I can put most of the B12 symptoms to almost any of them so it's hard to tell.  The reason these things worry me is because my GP of 15yrs has retired the rest of them are hopeless and they don't know me.  One of the reasons I think I'm now on folic acid for life is because I have Rhematoid Athritis and the tablet I take for it takes the depletes the body of folic acid which I found out not my GP,and this is after taking it for 12yrs. I'm so sorry I've ranted on but its getting so frustrateing trying to do a GPs job. Thank you all the same for your help.
  • Posted

I'm sure I've read that supplementing folate can disguise low B12.

B12 needs folate to work properly as well.

• Posted

When b12 is low, blood cells become enlarged which shows up in a full blood count. Folic acid supplementation normalises the size and shape of the blood cells. Iron plays a part too. Low iron reduces levels in the blood count.

When we receive b12 treatment the b12 uses folate to metabolise to the body's cells. Once b12 has metabolised the body uses ferritin (iron stores) to produce new blood cells. It is important to regularly check folate and ferritin levels when receiving b12 treatment.

• Posted

Hi Heather, firstly thank you for your reply.  Now because I'm not to clever on this subject, could you tell me if I take folic acid I need B12. Or am I sorted by just taking folic acid.  It's just that I feel so much has gone wrong with my health that I'm trying to help myself.  But I can't go down to my GP unless I understand the information I need.   
    • Posted

Also thank you blue dragon for your reply. Although I don't really understand either. Excuse my ignorance .
    • Posted

Norma you need to see your doctor as the folic acid results are normally done with B12 test well mine was. I need just B12 injections. You can always ask for a doctor call back.
    • Posted

Please ask for a print out of all your test results. In the uk under 200 is deficient as stated in the bcsh cobalamin guidelines. Unfortunately some of our labs have their range set much lower. However, if you have neurological symptoms then guidelines state that treatment must not be delayed to prevent irreversible damage. My b12 was 140 and denied treatment as my GP thought this level was ok. I fought my corner and I now receive treatment. When folate is too low b12 can build up in the blood. The reason for this is that b12 uses folate to metabolise into the body's cells. When folate is too low the b12 is stuck in the blood which makes us deficient at cellular level but looks normal in the blood. This causes the b12 deficiency symptoms. If you start taking folate you may find your serum b12 level will drop as the new level of folate metabolises the b12 to your cells. I can give you further advice if you can get your results.
    • Posted

You ask for the doctor to ring you, and then talk to him on the phone. My surgery does this it's a God send, saves going in to the surgery.
    • Posted

Great write up Heather, gives me also a better understanding of if all, my level is 163, waiting on a blood results for anydeficiency in bloods. Then start on injections.

• Posted

I would strongly recommend taking folic acid daily during loading injections. B12 injections work at optimum when folate level is above 15.
    • Posted

I was told mine was good at 4.0. My injections worked better when I got my folate up to 13. It needs to be in high end of range to work well.
    • Posted

When I see the nurse will ask about folic levels, thanks for the info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.