B12 bloods low ... doctor requesting further app for results

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone!

Just looking for some information as I have been pretty clueless to B12 untill now, been back and forth doctors for being tired, extreme anxiety, pulpitations, loss of appetite & weight loss. Also chronic pain in pelvis area.... had every blood test imaginable. All satisfactory apart from B12, Receptionist called me to let me know & I’m now book in with GP a week today, I’ve googled so much but can’t really find a straight forward answer to just the B12!

Can anyone help smile

Thankyou in advance!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

B12 runs everything in your body. Very low B12 can be fatal.  If you are prescribed B12 jabs, you will also need to supplement with folic acid so your body can process it.  Unfortunately, most doctors are not familiar with the correct procedures to manage B12 deficiency. Pernicious Anemia Society on Facebook is a great source of valid information.

i am not a medical professional, I am a Pernicious Anemia with Intrinsic Factor Antibody survivor that manages my health.

i wish you the best.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! I shall add that Facebook page right away! That’s awful if the doctors don’t know the correct procedures to put in place? That’s not giving me much hope at all sad ...: these jabs will I have to do them myself? X
  • Posted

With the complications you are having, a full blood test for Pernicious Anemia and Intrinsic factor antibody should be done.  After you have begun jabs, the numbers will be skewed. 

Since I have both PA and IF, I do my own subQ injections. I inject 1 ML Cyanacobalmin every other day. I will be injecting for the rest of my life. I was terrified of shot all my life but given the choice of life or death, i learned quickly. I am in the US so,I can get my B12 fairly easy with my doctor. In the UK, it seems to be a bit more difficult. Many PA patients in the UK order their B12 from Spain or Germany where B12 is an over the counter non-prescription item and they self-inject because they can't seem to get very much B12 through NHS.

As I have said, I am not a medical professional, but I am a 10 year survivor with Pa and IF.

• Posted

Oh wow! I am very glad you have yourself under control and you control it yourself & have a good GP. That’s great!. My Level was 176 but from what I have read that’s good? Although I when back to GP today and he’s requested a repeat blood test  next week for B12, Ceoliac & somekind of antibody test! Also referred to to a Urologist for continuous blood in urine but no water infections! I am only 27 and scared that this is just the beginning ! 

Thank you for all your information

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.