B12 confusion - advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with low levels of B12, folic acid, iron and vitamin D this time last year. I had the 2 week loading injections, a couple of months worth of Vit D and folic acid and have just finished taking iron tablets, because it took a while for my levels to return to normal. I have B12 injections every 3 months. All my levels are now classed as normal. However I am still feeling completely exhausted, light headed/dizzy, have headaches, my tongue swells, i cannot concentrate. I am fine for a few weeks after the injection but then my energy seems to disappear completely and notice the symptoms creeping back in. I was tested for PA, it came back negative. My thyroid is normal, Crohns & Caeliac test was negative. So my doctor said it must be my diet. Is there anything else I can do, i spoke to a doctor at my practice yesterday who suggested I take some vitamin d because we havent had much sun! I literally do not know what to do, I am starting to wonder if I am imagining this? Because my levels are normal. But it cannot be normal for a 34 year old to feel this exhausted? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am due another injection tomorrow and have asked for a different doctor to call me before then.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. When you say your levels are normal what are they? They took no action because my levels were 202 and 212 aftee tests. They are considering that within normal range even though it should be treated according to current guidelines. You really need to ask for your blood test results Katie. I don't know what test they did for pa. I am undergoing treatment now and seeing a haematologist and waiting to see if they diagnose me.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Originally the B12 was at 134 which is why they were treating it. Since this posting I requested copies of all the blood tests I have had. Unfortunately after a few months of my B12 levels rising, they have actually now dropped to very low again, despite still receiving the injections. This was not picked up! My doctor has referred me urgently to a gastroenterologist, because my body does not seem to be absorbing the injection. The PA test I had was for the intrinsic factor but they have now told me only 50% of people with PA will show the antibodies in their blood, so I may actually have it after all. Hopefully will get some answers soon.

• Posted

What is your diet? Unless you have an absorption problem via your stomach...

Here is an article which may help

"Vitamin B12, one of eight B vitamins, is essential to blood formation, regeneration of vitamin B9, or folic acid, DNA synthesis and the proper function of the brain and nervous system. B12 is an essential vitamin. Essential nutrients are molecules the body cannot produce on its own. So they must be supplied in the diet. Even just a small deficiency of vitamin B12 can have drastic effects on mood. Symptoms of a small vitamin B12 deficiency include anxiety, stress, irritability, depression, fatigue and mental confusion. To prevent a vitamin B12 deficiency, take a vitamin supplement or incorporate foods high in vitamin B12, such as beef, liver, seafood, fish, cheese and eggs, into your diet.

Vitamin B12 helps generate the fatty layer of the nerve endings, also known as myelin. The myelin layer must be intact for neuron signals to transmit properly. A vitamin B12 deficiency may impair the myelin layer and prevent proper signal transmission.

Folic acid is crucial for proper brain functioning and plays an important role in mental and emotional health. It helps in the production of DNA and RNA, the body's genetic material, especially when cells and tissues are growing rapidly, such as during infancy, adolescence, and pregnancy. Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body. Vitamin B9 works with vitamins B6 and B12 and other nutrients in controlling the blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine.

Rich sources of folate include spinach, dark leafy greens, asparagus, turnip, beets, and mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, lima beans, soybeans, beef liver, brewer's yeast, root vegetables, whole grains, wheat germ, bulgur wheat, kidney beans, white beans, lima beans, salmon, orange juice, avocado, and milk".

University of Maryland Medical Centre 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.