B12 deficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have joined back up again last time was on this site was 2011 which was when first got diagnosed with B12 deficiency. I have done well for myself but they stopped my injections in 2012 told me to go on tablets. But I lost track with the tablets and now my B12 is in mess again back on the injections again had my first today. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm surprised you were put on tablets. I thought most people with B12 deficiency struggled to absorb B12 through their digestive system - hence the injections.

The injections should put you right, anyway. What did they say was causing the deficiency?

• Posted

I do not know why they put me on tablets but when got diagnosed in 2011 my B12 was 128 and today the lowest ever down to 94. My nurse was surprised with how well I looked even though don't feel it inside. They first thought I had PA in 2011 but then it turned out to be B12 deficiency. I got really upset today with hearing the news was not expecting it. 
    • Posted

Don't fret. The important thing is that you are getting the jabs.

I guess you will get the standard 6 jabs over two weeks. You should feel right again within a couple more weeks. Make sure you get a re-test.

Usually you have to wait 3 more months for the next single jab top-up, so make sure you get a further blood test immediately before that to check you are able to retain the level required.

If the rate has fallen significantly, your GP should want to find out why and order further investigations.

Some GPs seem fazed when faced with a patient who has low B12, but tests negative for PA. Assuming you have a healthy diet and lifestyle, are not veggie or vegan, and have no gastro symptoms or history, they don't know what to do with you, so may fob you off with tablets. This won't help if you just don't absorb or recycle B12 well. They need to look at your folate levels.

• Posted

I would love to have tablets instead of the injections but as "bluemaran" said with PA there isn't much choice. You probably know already that after the injections you feel full of energy. My level was down to 46 and I was sleeping rather a lot during the day. I also thought I was heading for altzheimers. I am so greatful there is medication for us all. I would love to know if anyone who should be on injections but doesn't like them.has had any success withe sublingual tablets or topical oil or just anything except injections. Good luck with yours.
    • Posted

I used sublingual tablets while I waited for my GP to see sense and prescribe jabs, but I'm told it would not have helped, as I can't absorb B12 through my digestion. MadgeC recommends topical oils as a supplement to the jabs, but not, I think, as a substitute. I know the jabs aren't pleasant, but they are so quickly over. Grit your teeth and think of England!
    • Posted

The injections are not nice but if they help then you just have to out up with it. 
    • Posted

Yay! Every time I fluff a line or forget something, my other half tells me that it's B12 deficiency making me batty!
    • Posted

Hi BLUEMARAN  you are right about b12...  injections are the fastest way to get cobalamin into your system .. no matter what they say tablets etc just dont keep the levels up.. in Greece where i go regular the doze is 2ml every 8 weeks.. in uk  my doctor wont give me more than i ml every three months ...i get a friend to send me cobalmin phial and i inject myself and i feel better for it .. you cant overdose on  cobalamin  but if levels fall it could lead to serious pernicious anemia
    • Posted

Thanx for that. Initially I didn't bother about the injections - two were perfect; three o.k. but the other one was not good, and left me with a large bruise for nearly two weeks. But I'll do as you say "lie back and think of England"!!!!!!!!!!! Lol
    • Posted

Good girl. Find out the name of the nurse who gave you the first two jabs and make sure you get her the next time - sometimes it's just the way it's done. Least painful jab I ever had was done by a brand new student nurse who'd never done it before. The worst was by the senior nurse who was teaching her! : )
    • Posted

I am getting through my injections one had last Thursday the first one in ages bleed a lot and got bruise. My left arm in mess got awful bruise after my blood test last Wednesday and the little bruise from my injection. Be glad when they done and also on in total 54 folic acid tablets. See how much my levels go up after these lot. 
  • Posted

HI Emma  cant understand why you were taken off b12 injections and put on tablets .. b12 is for life  .. injection is right into bloodstream.  tablets are absorbing into stomach  hence the reason you have b12 deficiency you have not got the ability to absorb cobalamin..  you would be as well stuffing yourself with liver or beetroot etc   if thats what the doctor suggests   best of luck chris    

• Posted

Spoke to my nurse yesterday and can pick if I want to stay on injections or go back to tablets. But she said it is either my diet or stomach causing it but it is not my diet I know that one. 
    • Posted

Have they checked your parietal cell and intrinsic factor results? Are you vegetarian, coeliac, chrones or IBS? Any digestive symptoms or history? Gastro, endo or other checks?
    • Posted

I am not vegetarian I like my meat so that one is out lol. They have not checked me on coeliac or had Gastro endo or other checks I have not got IBS. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.