B12 deficiency

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I have recently been told I have this and was put on b12 and iron supplements I also have restless leg syndrome and since being on these supplements my symptoms for my restless leg syndrome has improved,it is a complication of this so any one with restless leg syndrome this may help.

Hope anyone finds this helpful.

Sharon67835

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have tried this on myself.   It was suggested that you al;so take folate tablets at the same time which I think was intended to improve the B12 absorbtion     I found that I had an improvement after about a month.   I stopped the B12 and after some time my RLS is sneaking back.   I am also on a FODMAP/ Low chem diet so the only time I can tell if something works is when I depart from the diet.    Its a back-up to the diet.

I dontknow if B12 can have any harmful effects.   I also take iron biglycinate 90mg every day to increase my ferritin from its current level to a target of 350.

• Posted

Hi Graham

I agree if I come off the supplements my rls gets worse,also the supplements have no harmful effect on your body I'm going to be taking them for the rest of my life and the Dr at the hospital I attend assured me they will do me no harm whatsoever, and yes a certain diet helps I.e green leafy veg tonic water all helpful.

Thank you for your input hope my comments help

Take care

Sharon67835

• Posted

I was very anaemic during pregnancy and that was the first time I experienced RLS . I agree iron supplements work for me too I take spatone iron water daily.  I was interested you say about b12 as I eat a mostly vegetarian diet and could be lacking this vitamin also . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.