B12 Deficiency and Body injuries

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone has experience with an injury taking longer to heal, like a strained muscle, or a pinched nerve? Can the deficiency make it harder for the body to heal or even get injured more easily?

I recently hurt my lower back and I was in very intense pain for a few days, couldn't get out of bed.

And once I thought I felt better, started my normal activities and hurt myself again cleaning.

I'd like to hear others experiences.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

What treatment are you receiving for the B12 deficiency?

It sounds more to me that you did some "mechanical" damage which is taking a long time to heal rather that your B12 deficiency is the cause.

True a B12 deficiency can cause damage to the "nerve endings" (the Myelin sheath) and when you get treatment for the deficiency the B12 starts to repair that damage and so the nerves then restart sending messages to the brain but you said you hurt yourself again.

Perhaps you should see your doctor or physiotherapist.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (one of many causes of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years.

I wish you well.

• Posted

My thought was the muscle weakness caused by the deficiency and the overuse of the muscle could have caused it to be worse than it would be if I was healthy (and then longer to heal). I've always done activities like dancing, yoga, bike riding, swimming and never before did I have such an injury.

But it's okay now, I've healed, 3weeks.

Thanks for the reply Clive!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.