B12 injection due around surgery date

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,  I am due to have a hysterectomy on 11th November and my B12 injection is due around the same time.  I really don't know whether to have the injection before or after surgery.  I have heard that some drugs used in surgery can completely deplete any B12 levels you have, so with that in mind I am thinking as I am due the injection right now, I probably don't have any b12 left in me!!

Can anyone advise me if I should wait til after surgery or go ahead and have injection before?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'd be inclined to have it before the op, and then use some extra supplements after to boost your depleted levels. Sublingual spray or patches. Best wishes for your op. Marion
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Marion.  I am inclined to agree, only thing I am thinking is that if the levels do drop I will have 3 months to wait until I can have another injection.  I will have a look at what sublinguals are available though.
    • Posted

Hi Caroline.  sorry to hear that you need surgery. hope it goes well for u.

i must say i'd be inclined to agree with what Marion says, cos if you're  well 'loaded' before the surgery, it'll hasten the post op healing process, help prevent infection & generally get you back on your feet fairly rapidly.

i'm wondering too,  if you could talk with ur GP and ask for a one  off injection post op before the 3 monthly one is due. i'm sure s/he wouldn't refuse since it means so much to u and also ensures  a more rapid & potentially less complicated  recovery.  alternatively as suggested, you could top up with patches, sublingual spray or/and  nasal b12. 

all good luck with the op.

C

• Posted

Hi, Thats not a bad idea actually.  When I go for the injection I will ask if its possible for a top up earlier than the next 3 months.  Thank you
  • Posted

Maybe the hospital will inject you straight after the operation. Nitrous oxide depletes b12 and is sometimes used during an operation. Good luck with your operation
    • Posted

Hi Heather.  i'm wondering if u know whether the NO switches off the b12 absorption/methylation process or just depletes the b12.  my friend is shortly having breast surgery & displaying b12d.  her GP has refused to test her.

with advanced thanks.

• Posted

Nitrous oxide actually depletes b12. Has she had a full blood count done Caitlin? The MCH, MCV etc may be raised if her b12 is low. Maybe she can ask for b12, folate and ferritin tests at her pre op assessment.
    • Posted

Yes I have heard about the nitrous oxide, I made sure the nurse wrote on my notes about my deficiency and will also mention it to the staff on the day
    • Posted

thanks Heather.  yes she had the FBC done.  they said  they  were all  normal but she doesn't know the numbers.  i'll see if she can get a print out & check whether she's on the upper or lower levels of normal.  they flat refused the b12. they were hopeless when she had her double mastectomy - just get  on with it approach. she made a very slow surgical recovery, so is naturally apprehensive.

with thanks 

C

• Posted

You should be having a pre op assessment perhaps ask for advice then.

having your injection before will boost you during and after surgery but remember unless you have someone to take you to your drs afterwards you will be somewhat quaranteened for at least a couple of weeks. 

• Posted

Hi, I did ask the nurse at my pre assessment but she just said it was up to me!  I think I will go for it before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.