B12 Injections

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have Pernicious Anemia and I have been dianogisted for about 2 years.  I am give myself injections about 2-4 times a week.  Lately I've noticed my symptoms are coming back.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi msj. sorry to hear that the injections aren't lasting for you. do you know how low your b12 levels were at the outset and what are theu now? also have you had your Folate levels done. b12 needs to have sufficient levels of Folate for it to be activated. however, it's important to know your levels of folate before supplementing in case thay are too high.

best wishes

Caitlin

• Posted

Hi Caitlin, my level was somewhere in the 50's ... The doctor was really concerned.  The levels were up to 250 the last time I had a blood test.  And yes I do take Folate (also is very low, I have absorption issues because of celiac disease) but I forget some days and so that creates the activation problem.  You message gave me an idea to just take it when I give myself the injection, instead of later in the day.  I wasn't taking it untill after lunch because I was concerned it wouldn't mix well with my thyroid medicine. 

msj

• Posted

hi msj. wow, in the 50's, you must have been feeling AWFUL? 250 whilst, considered in the 'grey area', is in fact, low. our 'normal' parameters in the UK are set rather low (200) compared to other countries. for example, it's 600 in Japan. so you'll still be feeling the effects of a low b12. btw, which of the cobalamins are you on. what dose and how frequently? what dose folate are you on?

having had a discussion with an expert in the field, i've been advised to take the folate, b6, b2 & the thyroxine at the same time as the b12 for optimum delivery to the cells. each of these are co-factors in the delivery, activation & utilization of b12. since, i started doing this, i'm getting measurably better results. have you thought of supplementing sublingually, orally or topically as well as doing it via the IM route. this may hasten the replinishing of the liver's b12 stores?

Caitlin

• Posted

Hi Caitlin,

Yes I was feeling awful!  Numbness in my feet, debilitating muscle spasms in the legs and groin, absolutely no strength.  I used to lift weights in a body shaping class and went from 8lbs to 2lbs in a matter of weeks. Sleeping all the time. … It was terrible.  I'm on Hydroxocobalamin 1ml 4 times a week and the folate I take is called Ferofood.  These supplements are complete organic and no other folate has worked for me.  I have some major trouble with absorption so taking things orally has been an issue for me.  Plus I take Hydrocortisone 90mg and Armor Thyroid 150 mg a day and iodine and DHEA. I am feeling better if I take all my drugs.  Eating a very clean diet has helped and I have been doing that as well.  But it is a process and I do everything I do just to live through another day.

msj (sue) 

• Posted

hi sue. it sounds pretty tough for you. hope you're having help with the other day-to-day living stuff. re the folate, is there a possibility that you are not converting the folic acid (FA) to the usuable form? apparently 1-3 of us are unable to do this due to gene anomaly. if this was the case, the bio-available form of folic acid 'methyltetrahydrofolate' (L-5MTHF) would be the best form of FA to take. have a google and see what it says. also, it might be worth looking at supplementing the b12 with sublingual or topical forms to boost levels. i've recently started supplementing with topical b12 with very good results. the strength of the topical b12 being that it comes in the activated form/s 'methycobalamin' & 'adenosylcobalamin'. they go straight to the cells provided there's enough FA//b6/b2 etc. available.

hope you find some relief soon.

Caitlin.

• Posted

Thanks Caitlin, I will look into your suggestions.  I see my doctor soon and I will be sharing that information. 

sue

• Posted

mscats

I don’t have pernicious anemia but my B12 was on the low side, still in the safe zone even though I was taking a good quality B complex daily. (Normal range in the U.S. is between 211-1297. I was at 311)  My Dr. told me to take a B12 lozenge, melts and absorbed in your mouth, and my B12 shot up to a point where my Dr told me to take one every other day. Are you taking any other meds? As others have mentioned, folate is important. I take one med just once a week, but I have to take a daily prescription strength (1 mg) folic acid med. I take this med for rheumatoid psoriatic arthritis. At higher doses, it is also a cancer med. That’s the only thing I can figure out why my Dr. has me on a prescription folic acid med. Drinking alcohol can also lower your B12 levels and other vitamins. My Dr said I have low thyroid, but not low enough to take a thyroid med. He didn’t relate B12 to low thyroid.

My brother has celiac disease. He also takes a daily B12 lozenge. I don’t know what a ferofood diet is, but meat is the major source of B12. All vegetarians need to take a B12 supplement.

You mention forgetting to take your folate. I take two other prescription meds on a daily basis for another med condition. As a reminder, I have set an alarm on my cell phone to take these meds at the same time each day. For the once a week med, I have set a once a week alarm on my cell phone otherwise I might forget. Cell phones have more uses then just for texting. My brother doesn’t need to set a daily alarm, he has a nagging wife (joke).

• Posted

Hi Steve,

ferofood is a suppliement ... I have set an alarm and that works if I don't get distracted nagging my husband .. (joke) lol .... I'm not a vegetarian nor am I vegan.  I would survivie, since I'm allergic to legumes.  Thanks for your suggestions.  I'll ask my doctor. 

msj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.