B12 injections

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Just want to find out some information, I've been feeling very tired and have been getting. Ulcers and sore tongue.. my doctor did blood tests and came back that my b12 was 127 my iron was 17 and my platelet count was 121?

Anyone know anything if b12 causes all thi

Any help would be great I've just had my 3rd booster injection for b12 will I have to have this for life?

Thanks josie

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Josie, yes low B12 can cause all those things, and you will probably need to be on injections for life.

Are there any dietary reasons for your B12 being low? Are you vegetarian or vegan? 

Sometimes we have a lack of something in our gut that is needed to absorb the B12, so any major surgery involving the digestive tract might cause it. Our immune system might be the culprit, or just growing older can cause it.

Have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website for more information and a full symptom list. There are often other things that we hadn't realised were due to the low B12.

It is important that ferritin, folate, and VitD levels are good, as we need these to be able to absorb the B12 that we are being given,

I hope you will soon be feeling better. Best wishes Marion 

• Posted

Hi Marion,

Thank you for your reply.. I have a normal diet, I eat a lot of meat and eggs milk vegetables etc,

I will have a look at the PA website..

The doctor did say I would need to be retested 3 months after I finish the booster injections, so I guess I will see if my body has rejected b12

Thank you for your input

Regards

Josie

• Posted

Ive been taking injections once a week for 5 weeks and I dont see much difference in my fatigue does it take longer to get in to your system.  I could be so tired because i am worried about this.  my b12 was 256 when I was told about it.  Thanks in advance
    • Posted

A lot will depend on how long you were deficient before your treatment started and it is not uncommon for some neurological symptoms to appear to get worse before they get better as the B12 starts to work repairing the damage done to your nervous system.

Please ask your doctor to check your Folate level as this and B12 help your iron to make red blood cells. There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

I'm not a medically trained person but have had P.A for over 45 years and I've no doubt Marion will have more words of good advice in due course.

I wish you well

• Posted

Hello, It can take a long time to feel the full benefit of your injections. A lot depends on how long you have been deficient.

Do you know that your ferritin and folate levels are good, do you take a good quality B complex vitamin supplement?

Anxiety doesn't help, as stress will have an effect on your overall health.

Are you in the UK, as your treatment regimen seems different to what is usually followed here? 

Best wishes 

Marion 

• Posted

Hi Connolly,

Symptoms of B12 deficiency tend to develop slowly and may not be recognised immediately. As the condition worsens, common symptoms include:

Weakness and fatigue

Light-headedness and dizziness

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Shortness of breath

A sore tongue that has a red, beefy appearance

Nausea or poor appetite

Weight loss

Diarrhoea

Yellowish tinge to the skin and eyes

If low levels of B12 remain for a long time, the condition also can lead to irreversible damage to nerve cells, which can cause the following symptoms:

Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet

Difficulty walking

Muscle weakness

Irritability

Memory loss

Dementia

Depression

Psychosis.

You need to check with your doctor what your Folate (B9 or folic acid) level is. There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance. Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body.

It is not uncommon for some symptoms to appear to get worse before they get better as the B12 you are having injected gets to work repairing the damage done to your nervous system. Be prepared that some symptoms may improve rapidly but others not as a lot will depend on how long you have been deficient.

Dou you have any idea why you became deficient? Are you vegan/vegetarian, had gastric surgery, on medications such as Proton Pump Inhibitors, antacids, Metformi, antidepressants etc which can affect absorption? Do have have a family history of P.A? Do you have other diseases such as diabetes or thyroid problems? How old are you? Have you recently had surgery using nitrous oxide as an anaesthetic?

There are so many reason for developing a B12 deficiency and depending on the cause for yours that will determine how long you will need treatment.

The "loading doses" should continue on every other day until there is no further improvement according to the N.I.C.E and B.N.F guidelines. You may wish to mention this to your nurse or doctor. You may also want to ask to have your "Intrinsic Factor" tested to determine whether you may have Pernicious Anaemia.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for over 45 years and I'm still "clivealive" at 75.I wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.